ILLEGAL FEE PROGRAM INVADES WYOMING

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Aaron Johnson

ILLEGAL FEE PROGRAM INVADES WYOMING

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:33 am

The ongoing, and spreading, fee scam has made its way into the last stronghold of the less government concept, Wyoming.

According to the WESTERN SLOPE NO FEE COALITION:

The Bighorn N F is planning to start charging a $10/day parking fee at the main trailhead into the Cloud Peak Wilderness (Cloud Peak, Darton Peak) in the Bighorn Range in Wyoming. When I challenged them because parking fees are illegal, they pulled the original notice from the Federal Register and reposted it without the word "parking" but it's still a parking fee. Wyoming is one of only three states that doesn't have a Recreation Resource Advisory Committee, so the FS can pretty much do this unilaterally unless there is lots of public outcry. Comments can go to Craig Cope Wilderness Coordinator cccope@fs.fed.us and Mark Booth District Ranger mbooth@fs.fed.us.

People that live in Wyoming should send their comments to Senator Barasso and Senator Enzi and Representative Lummis.

IMPORTANT ARTICLES TO READ:

BIGHORN NF TO CHARGE ILLEGAL FEE

BIGHORN FEE UNDER FIRE

BIGHORN CHANGES IT WORDING

THE RAT FEE SYSTEM IS ABUSED AND OFTEN ADMINISTERED ILLEGALLY BY THE FOREST SERVICE AND ITS CONCESSIONAIRES. This abuse has now encroached upon the state of Wyoming.

This is an ILLEGAL FEE as determined by the legislation set forth by Congress. The program is currently under fire and two senators are sponsoring a bill to shut down the fee program.

THIS IS A DOUBLE TAX on land YOU ALREADY OWN and have a right to ACCESS FOR FREE.

DO NOT PAY THE FEE at this trailhead!

ADDITIONALLY:

If any SP member would like to authorize use of their SP photos for a video to get the word out about this scam, please send me a PM. I hope to get the video slapped together as quickly as possible. It would be similar in tone to these on my profile page:

AJ's PROFILE PAGE & VIDEOS.

NOTE: In the Spanish Peak Fee Video, the form I designed and filled out resulted in the fee that I paid being returned to me! What does THAT tell you? They know they're out of line and illegal, yet they continue to charge the fee on an ignorant and careless public!

Thanks!

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:06 am

Thanks Fortmental. Two lawsuits are pending: The Mount Lemmon Case in Arizona and the Mount Evans case in Colorado. I know the FS is doing all it can to squelch the Mount Evans case as it is precedent setting and they have much to lose. But so do we as taxpayers and as American citizens. Ignorance and indifference on the public's part will work in their favor. They're counting on it. What the public must understand is if this case is won, taxpayers are screwed forever and an endless opprtunity for corporate business to squander private lands for profit will ensue. People will be priced right out of their own land.

It's a just cause. I will fight the good fight until the people win or lose. Western Slope No Fee believes the fact that the concessionaire at Spanish Peak in Colorado know they are illegal and that is why they returned my fee to me. That and the pressure from my video posted here at SP and on Youtube.

This Wyoming thing is troubling. I fear the FS, another government agency out of control, will attack with this RAT FEE scam full bore soon if the people don't do something quickly-like make their voices heard...and fast.

Thanks for your support.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 am

OMG, Aaron, why don't you just give up this ghost. Pick the battles that are more global and less about you, i.e., monetary. You can't win this one and if the NF is hurting for money so they have to charge these fees, who gives a flying? There are infinitely MORE illegal/immoral things going on than someone charging for a parking lot.

Why not go after those who shut down the endangered species list, INCLUDING Ken Salazar and President Obama? How about taking in one of the homeless women from the streets of Denver who are turned AWAY from shelters because they're women and there are fewer beds for them than for men? Protest sanctions against Bolivia that are preventing village women from sending their crafts to a country that will support their Save the Children foundation? How about lobbying for legislation in Denver that supports the rule of law for legislators? Did you know that legislators can't be arrested for a DUI because it's considered an impedence to performing their job responsibilities?

Jeezus, who gives a crap about a couple of bucks parking fee here and there. Hon, you're starting to sound like 1000pks with your obsession...

AND TURN OFF YOUR DAMNED CAPS LOCK! NOBODY WANTS TO BE YELLED AT!!

isostatic

by isostatic » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 am

MarthaP wrote:OMG, Aaron, why don't you just give up this ghost. Pick the battles that are more global and less about you, i.e., monetary. You can't win this one and if the NF is hurting for money so they have to charge these fees, who gives a flying? There are infinitely MORE illegal/immoral things going on than someone charging for a parking lot.

Why not go after those who shut down the endangered species list, INCLUDING Ken Salazar and President Obama? How about taking in one of the homeless women from the streets of Denver who are turned AWAY from shelters because they're women and there are fewer beds for them than for men? Protest sanctions against Bolivia that are preventing village women from sending their crafts to a country that will support their Save the Children foundation? How about lobbying for legislation in Denver that supports the rule of law for legislators? Did you know that legislators can't be arrested for a DUI because it's considered an impedence to performing their job responsibilities?

Jeezus, who gives a crap about a couple of bucks parking fee here and there. Hon, you're starting to sound like 1000pks with your obsession...

AND TURN OFF YOUR DAMNED CAPS LOCK! NOBODY WANTS TO BE YELLED AT!!

Calm down, MarthaP!

Ridiculing a good cause by arguing that there are worse things in the world is the perfect way to get nothing done anywhere!

Keep on with your good work, Aaron!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Fight the power!

Dean

by Dean » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks Aaron, contrary to Martha's posturing, I appreciate your efforts on this to bring this to our attention. We all need to do our part and write letters and get our voices heard.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Although I agree with the principal that we should not be charged fees for the use of National Parks and National Forests, it appears that the fee is legal. It appears that Congress passed a law authorizing fees for developed areas and, I believe, Ronnie Raygun signed it. The parking lot in question is paved and does have restrooms, trash cans, and picnic tables as I recall. They have been charging a fee at some of the developed parking areas in other states for some time now; no reason Wyoming should be exempt.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:23 pm

knoback wrote:You can only have my support if you first push to legalize summary execution, by any citizen, of ATV'ers caught on the trails. Then we can get rid of all the forest service fees you want.

Include execution of those who leave cigarette butts, plastic bottles, and granola bar wrappers on the trails and you have my vote, too!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Catamount wrote:. I pretty much don't pay it, but that's just 'cuz I don't roll with anything less than $100 bills.

I handle all my parking fees via PayPal. If some ranger is too lazy to whip out a laptop with a satellite link, why that's a USFS problem.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
Catamount wrote:. I pretty much don't pay it, but that's just 'cuz I don't roll with anything less than $100 bills.

I handle all my parking fees via PayPal. If some ranger is too lazy to whip out a laptop with a satellite link, why that's a USFS problem.

I pull out my Golden Old Fart's pass and, if necessary, argue with them about whether or not it covers the fee in question. :lol:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:18 pm

The USFS could easily make up this shortfall by leasing land to mining and timber companies.

(Rim shot. Not how I feel, but sometimes it is good to consider the alternatives. Of course, one alternative is the elusive "fiscal restraint.")

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:19 pm

MoapaPk wrote:The USFS could easily make up this shortfall by leasing land to mining and timber companies.

(Rim shot. Not how I feel, but sometimes it is good to consider the alternatives. Of course, one alternative is the elusive "fiscal restraint.")

"Fiscal restraint" means unpaved parking areas with no restrooms and piles of trash instead of trash cans.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

knoback wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:The USFS could easily make up this shortfall by leasing land to mining and timber companies.

Shall I send you some photos of the trail near my house multiple-used by the timber company leasing some fores service land?

I wasn't expressing an opinion, but it would be nice for people to weigh: "do I want to pay user fees, or do I want them to cut down the forest for a corporate payment?" I thought the "rim shot" would hint at irony.

As for fiscal restraint; well, the real issue seems to be the actual end-use of limited funds, when there are more and more unfunded mandates. Remember this thread?
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44209

with this new (2004) group?
http://www.sierranevadaconservancy.ca.gov/about_us.html

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:27 pm

All this proves is that BIG BROTHER is still watching us.

There ARE some really lousy laws being passed out there.

The ultimate question is: Are you a part of the problem or a part of the solution ???

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm

The irony here is that this is the precisely the attitude that puts a price on a bald eagle, a hungry kid, and an abused woman.

Is there also a price put on a cigarette butt or a discarded diaper at public trailheads ???

How about when I decide to hike on a public trail. Is there a price put on my butt ?

:?

Next

Return to General