In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
User Avatar
nader

 
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:50 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by nader » Wed May 11, 2011 7:51 pm

I posted this question in January, nobody answered. Here it is again:

In summer can you drive to North Cottonwood Creek Trailhaed (For Mt.s Yale, Columbia & Harvard) in a standard car or do you need 4WD?

User Avatar
Monster5

 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 pm
Thanked: 26 times in 10 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by Monster5 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Standard car with reasonable clearance. Gets a bit bumpy and wash-boarded, depending on time of year, but still driveable in a normal vehicle.

User Avatar
nader

 
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:50 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by nader » Wed May 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks.

User Avatar
Bill Reed

 
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:46 pm
Thanked: 62 times in 52 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by Bill Reed » Thu May 12, 2011 2:00 am

nader wrote:I posted this question in January, nobody answered. Here it is again:

In summer can you drive to North Cottonwood Creek Trailhaed (For Mt.s Yale, Columbia & Harvard) in a standard car or do you need 4WD?


Sorry we ignored you, didn't mean to. Personally I don't now the answer but I would ask you: In light of our monster snowpack, what do you mean by "summer"?

User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4214
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Thanked: 1874 times in 1392 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by lcarreau » Thu May 12, 2011 3:09 am

Bill Reed wrote:
nader wrote:I posted this question in January, nobody answered. Here it is again:

In summer can you drive to North Cottonwood Creek Trailhaed (For Mt.s Yale, Columbia & Harvard) in a standard car or do you need 4WD?


Sorry we ignored you, didn't mean to. Personally I don't now the answer but I would ask you: In light of our monster snowpack, what do you mean by "summer"?


Hey, Nader. I've been hearing stories about the 2011 snowpack in northern Utah and Colorado. You might need one of THESE :

Image
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

User Avatar
nader

 
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:50 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by nader » Thu May 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Appreciate the pitty.

Glad to hear that there has been good snowfall. I was actually worried that the snowpack might have been below average, at least in southern Colorado. I saw a recent trip report in the Sangre De Cristos in April and the snow cover did not seem to be that much.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:06 pm
Thanked: 41 times in 29 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by Dan Shorb » Thu May 12, 2011 5:43 pm

nader wrote:Appreciate the pitty.

Glad to hear that there has been good snowfall. I was actually worried that the snowpack might have been below average, at least in southern Colorado. I saw a recent trip report in the Sangre De Cristos in April and the snow cover did not seem to be that much.


It's Still Dumping.
我不知道杰克

User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by CSUMarmot » Thu May 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Damn the snow. At this time of year I should be able to snowshoe no more than 1 mile to reach a 11K summit. Now its going to be more like 2-3 miles.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4214
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Thanked: 1874 times in 1392 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by lcarreau » Fri May 13, 2011 2:40 am

CSUMarmot wrote:Damn the snow. At this time of year I should be able to snowshoe no more than 1 mile to reach a 11K summit. Now its going to be more like 2-3 miles.


Mister Marmot ? Don't ya mean .... DAMN the TORPEDOES !!! (and full speed ahead...?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6XwAl_hNo&feature=related
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
CSUMarmot

User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by CSUMarmot » Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 am

lcarreau wrote:
CSUMarmot wrote:Damn the snow. At this time of year I should be able to snowshoe no more than 1 mile to reach a 11K summit. Now its going to be more like 2-3 miles.


Mister Marmot ? Don't ya mean .... DAMN the TORPEDOES !!! (and full speed ahead...?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6XwAl_hNo&feature=related


Ahhh, very good album, great live version of that song. My favorite was always:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHA6OVmxr2k
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

no avatar
mconnell

 
Posts: 7494
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:28 pm
Thanked: 337 times in 200 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by mconnell » Fri May 13, 2011 4:18 am

CSUMarmot wrote:Damn the snow. At this time of year I should be able to snowshoe no more than 1 mile to reach a 11K summit. Now its going to be more like 2-3 miles.


If you don't like the snow, there's always Texas.

User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4214
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Thanked: 1874 times in 1392 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by lcarreau » Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 am

mconnell wrote:
If you don't like the snow, there's always Texas.


Or ARIZONA ... there's nothing like a "cesspool of heat" coming at ya full throttle.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by CSUMarmot » Fri May 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Come on guys, I like the Panthers!! Summers in Colorado, hockey season in Miami
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

User Avatar
Doublecabin

 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:30 pm
Thanked: 12 times in 12 posts

Re: In all of Summitpost, nobody knew

by Doublecabin » Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 am

Southern Colorado is indeed an entirely different game than it is north of the Arkansas River. The Collegiates are in the tranisiton zone, don't count on a big snowpack, but as far as I know its just supposed to be a warmer summer, not drier than normal. Here's a San Juan Snotel CONSIDERABLY lower than average.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/wyg ... -LILY+POND

Next

Return to Colorado

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests