Is this a photo of Everest?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
hnmw

Is this a photo of Everest?

by hnmw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:37 pm

I took a photo of the Himalayas on a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa while sitting on the right hand side of the plane. The photo appears to show two mountains that reach up above the clouds.

I showed the photo to three people who have been to Everest before. Two of them said it was Everest while the other person said it wasn't.

Can someone here confirm whether one of the mountains in the photo is Everest? Please only comment if you know what Everest looks like from different angles because I know that Everest may look different depending on which side of the mountain you are on.

I uploaded the photo here: postimg.org/image/8l3vb85gd

Norris

Re: Is this a photo of Everest?

by Norris » Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 am

I was recently on the same flight. I think you were on the wrong side of the plane to see Everest. I was on the left side of the plane. The view of Everest that I saw was of very the top of the southwest face. It was a long way away from the plane, and only the tip of the mountain was visible above the clouds, but the upper snowfield of the southwest face was visible, as was the characteristic plume from the summit.

yetibreath

by yetibreath » Tue May 05, 2015 6:34 am

When I took that flight, I was also on the left side. It was a very clear day, so I had a good view of Everest and another high peak which I am reasonably sure was Makalu. The high peak seen from the right side would be Kanchenjunga. I am sure that the flight path was trying to sneak between the 8000 meter peaks. Since Makalu is fairly close to Everest, I think that we flew between Makalu and Kanchenjunga. Regardless of which window you look out, it is a great view.

no avatar
hnmw

by hnmw » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Norris and Yeti Breath,

Do either of you have a photo of Everest that you captured on your flight that you can upload so that I can see what Everest looks like from the plane trip?

During my flight I was initially on the left hand side of the plane and then switched the right hand side when the view became too cloudy. I think I took the photo when I was on the right hand side (but I am not 100% certain).

Also do either of you know for sure that the mountain captured is not Everest? Yeti Breath, I think you are saying that the mountain is Kanchenjunga.

yetibreath

by yetibreath » Wed May 06, 2015 6:26 am

Here is a photo from the left side of the plane. Because of the clouds, I can't identify the mountains in your photo.

Everest-from-plane.jpg
Everest-from-plane.jpg (378.33 KiB) Viewed 5778 times

no avatar
hnmw

by hnmw » Wed May 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Yeti Breath, I cannot view the photo you attached as Summit Post is saying that I do not have the required permissions to view it.

Can you do me a huge favour and attach the photo to a website that provides an image with a url such as tinypic.com or postimg.org? Alternatively, you can send me a PM with the photo of Everest you took.

It would be immensely appreciated.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:18 pm

yetibreath wrote:Here is a photo from the left side of the plane. Because of the clouds, I can't identify the mountains in your photo.

Everest-from-plane.jpg

That certainly is Everest, with the Nuptse ridge in the mid foreground and Lhotse somewhat indistinct towards the right of the Nupste ridge and slightly to the right of Everest
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

desainme

by desainme » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:42 pm

If positioning yourself a bit higher but the same latitude and longitude as the clearer picture it looks possible with the foreground being Nuptse, but doing so in Google Earth suggests that the very pointy peak in the left background is Changtse. In Google Earth the Changtse summit ridge is not very steep but rising gently from left to right. The blurry photo shows a much sharper peak in place of Changtse (Everest North Peak). Anyway seems doubtful to me.

desainme

by desainme » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Suppose you are looking west from over Annapurna ii or iv whose ridges descend to the south (left) and the left most background peak is Machapuchare while to its right is Annapurna South with Annapurna I being that which was construed as Everest?

Return to Asia