jefferson

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
RoundHere

jefferson

by RoundHere » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 am

How difficult a climb is jefferson? my climbing partner and I have limited experience (basics course and have summited mount hood).. how difficult is jefferson? i have read its best early in the year while it is covered in snow. at this rate- will conditions be there for a climb late june for a beginner? any advice is appreciated. thanks

Fred Spicker

Re: jefferson

by Fred Spicker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:14 pm

no avatar
RoundHere

by RoundHere » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:12 am

ok thanks for the feedback. maybe next year

billisfree

by billisfree » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 am

I soloed it on July 28th 2010. Using the south ridge from Pamela Lake.

I Bivied at 6900 ft, then climbed to the Red Saddle in 5 hours. (10,250 ft). The route was a mix of trail, boggy marshes, scree, snow and bouldering.

And that was as far as I thought was safe to solo - 200 ft short of summit. Two people, willing to take more risks is OK.

Mid-summer or late summer is OK. The talus slope might give you trouble if you are not a good scrambler.
Remember, only 20 people are limited to the Pamela Lake area... so call ahead for a free permit.

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

billisfree wrote:I soloed it on July 28th 2010.

This statement also seems a little misleading. A more accurate turn of phrase might be "I tried to solo it."

And yes, I've climbed Jeff without a rope. But we were very lucky with conditions, had loads of previous experience, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

billisfree

by billisfree » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 pm

You're right, twoshuzz - I didn't climb it proper.

I tend to be highly uneasy if I attempt a mountain that I never personally scouted out beforehand. Just driving out and inspecting the
trailhead gives me a more relaxing feeling on the day of the climb. Just a habit of mine.

My motto... "Any climb is a good climb, summit or no summit."

The Summit Post has been relatively quiet lately, I thought I'd spice things up.

Maybe I should specialize in "lower down". :)

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)