job offer in Heidelberg

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:42 pm

My, you Europeans are a bit over sensitive!

Whether because of the "old country" other "mother country" syndrome or whatever, many North Americans hold Europe almost in awe. For many over here a vacation trip to Europe is the ambition of a lifetime and the opportunity to actually work there the fulfilment of a dream. My aim was to simply point out to nikolai that there are some disadvantages to going there, that these should be weighed against the advantages and that the project should be approached with open eyes.

Now to some specific points.

Autobahns. There's nothing that can quite compare to overtaking someone at 160 kph only to have a Merc appear out of nowhere and station itself 1 metre from your rear bumper with headlights flashing. As far as I know Germany is the only country in the world that has no speed limits on some freeways. This is reflected in its accident rates, insurance costs etc. This is something to be aware of.

Security. Germany is reasonably OK. Cops are everywhere, well trained and fair. However, my comments were on Europe in general. Things are not quite as rosy particularly in Spain and Portugal. In a 4 week trip recently we saw six examples of b & e on vehicles (including ours). Any cop will tell you that east European gangs are mainly responsible for this. Again, just something to be aware of.

Smoking. Sorry guys, I'm not bending an inch on this one. I'm originally from and have lived in or travelled extensively to Europe for 35 years and, in all this time, have noted not one iota of improvement with the sole exception of the UK. If dealing with second hand smoke is an issue for you, prepare for some severe testing of your fortitude everywhere in Europe except the UK. Yes, there are no-smoking signs everywhere. People simply ignore them. Asking for a no-smoking area in a restaurant in France, say, will just produce gales of laughter. As friend of mine once so accurately remarked: second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer; if it did Germany would be dead by now!

Coffee. Tiny point but I stick to my guns re German coffee. This is just a personal taste thing of course. Might even be worth starting a separate thread on "the worst coffee in the world". Which, Gangolf will be grateful to hear, is not in Germany. :)

Crowds. At least we can all agree on this. It's nothing to do with popularity, as one contributor suggested, and everything to do with the sheer density of the population. Although it does help to go in January/February when tourists are mainly at home.

I think that'll do for now. Get out your slings and arrows!

Lolli - I'm Canadian. There's a difference. It's about the same as me referring to you as Norwegian. Don't lose any sleep over it though :lol:

mvs

by mvs » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:48 pm

I've really enjoyed my 1.5 years in Munich so far, having come from Seattle. The population density is really high - there is someone everywhere you look! And I agree the roads are overcrowded. But the key with the roads is learning the patterns and resolutely avoiding the bad times. Go to the mountains early in the morning, and stay til well after dark. If I leave Munich at 5 am, I'm in Garmisch by 6, or Innsbruck by 7. I even drove to the Sella Pass in the Dolomites in 3 hours from home. Use the full day in the mountains, and if you come out too early go to a restaurant. Because if you foolishly head for Munich at 6 pm on a beautiful Sunday, you will pay for it. Wait until 9 pm, then the roads are nearly empty again!

I always see pictures of big crowds in the mountains, all clustered on some via ferrata. But by going early I never see such things. Save the ultra popular trail for October and you'll be alone.

In general, everybody gets the same idea at once, and they all leave at the same time. Knowing that allows you to have U.S. style wilderness experiences (well, almost ;-)) and avoid the bad things. But as a climber you already get up hella early and stuff.

I had to laugh at the theft issue. Munich is so safe from that point of view. I have left my bike out, unlocked, all night in front of a supermarket..twice. There are some areas of the city that seem a little rougher, but overall it's amazing how relaxed we feel here despite it being a huge city. On the street you always see where somebody hung up a hat or a glove on a post, so when the person who lost it comes back, it's right there.

Definitely ride your bike to work, and live in the city. That day to day existence, so different from what you usually have in the U.S. is a great thing.

Do it and have fun! :D

Charles

by Charles » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:39 am

vancouver islander wrote:My, you Europeans are a bit over sensitive!

Whether because of the "old country" other "mother country" syndrome or whatever, many North Americans hold Europe almost in awe. For many over here a vacation trip to Europe is the ambition of a lifetime and the opportunity to actually work there the fulfilment of a dream. My aim was to simply point out to nikolai that there are some disadvantages to going there, that these should be weighed against the advantages and that the project should be approached with open eyes.

Now to some specific points.

Autobahns. There's nothing that can quite compare to overtaking someone at 160 kph only to have a Merc appear out of nowhere and station itself 1 metre from your rear bumper with headlights flashing. As far as I know Germany is the only country in the world that has no speed limits on some freeways. This is reflected in its accident rates, insurance costs etc. This is something to be aware of.

Security. Germany is reasonably OK. Cops are everywhere, well trained and fair. However, my comments were on Europe in general. Things are not quite as rosy particularly in Spain and Portugal. In a 4 week trip recently we saw six examples of b & e on vehicles (including ours). Any cop will tell you that east European gangs are mainly responsible for this. Again, just something to be aware of.

Smoking. Sorry guys, I'm not bending an inch on this one. I'm originally from and have lived in or travelled extensively to Europe for 35 years and, in all this time, have noted not one iota of improvement with the sole exception of the UK. If dealing with second hand smoke is an issue for you, prepare for some severe testing of your fortitude everywhere in Europe except the UK. Yes, there are no-smoking signs everywhere. People simply ignore them. Asking for a no-smoking area in a restaurant in France, say, will just produce gales of laughter. As friend of mine once so accurately remarked: second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer; if it did Germany would be dead by now!

Coffee. Tiny point but I stick to my guns re German coffee. This is just a personal taste thing of course. Might even be worth starting a separate thread on "the worst coffee in the world". Which, Gangolf will be grateful to hear, is not in Germany. :)

Crowds. At least we can all agree on this. It's nothing to do with popularity, as one contributor suggested, and everything to do with the sheer density of the population. Although it does help to go in January/February when tourists are mainly at home.

I think that'll do for now. Get out your slings and arrows!

Lolli - I'm Canadian. There's a difference. It's about the same as me referring to you as Norwegian. Don't lose any sleep over it though :lol:

You´ve raised some good points. Smoking though is better... illegal in public places in Italy, Ireland etc, even Germany will come in in 2008 (at least that´s what it looks like) Autobahns in Germany are lousey, simple as that. All that Wirtschaftswunder has not reflected itself in road building. Yes it´s a real pain to have some fat arsed bastard up your tail at 160! Crime is a problem. The UK stinks as far as theft is concerned, also areas of France, Spain, Italy are bad. The population dansity is a problem here but as MVS correctly writes, do it at sensible times.
I take your point about a holiday of a lifetime, but I enjoyed my two stays in North AMerica immensely.. not hols of a lifetime but great non the less.

But I echo MVS Munich, and where I live near there is a very safe area, simple as that. And also the European history is simply wonderful, worth taking in and living amongst... nothing negative meant towrds the Americas or any where else for that matter.
Anyway to live in another country, even if it turns out to be not "home" is worth the ride.

nikolai

by nikolai » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:04 pm

charles wrote: ...to live in another country, even if it turns out to be not "home" is worth the ride.

This sentiment (which was expressed in some form by several of the respondents) is exactly why I applied to this job.

Being a native East Coaster, I went to grad school in California so I could explore the West Coast; not because of mountain climbing or bicycling, but because I wanted to see a new culture and live in a different environment. Heidelburg (or any of the other European places I applied to that may come through with an opening) would be a similar type of experience. Yes, I love to hike and bike, but everyday things like walking to the grocery store or going out to eat (or getting shit coffee at some cafe) will be an adventure-- an adventure that I know will enrich my life beyond what staying in a comfortable and familiar environment will.

And more than anything else in the world, I love adventure.

Thanks for the responses. You haven't given me any reason not to consider this position.

Charles

by Charles » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:18 pm

Yes the everyday things can be different, some very different, even for people who hail from not too differing societies. It´ll be fun and you might end up like me, just staying on because it becomes a second home. Note "second" my fist is still back in the UK. I find that an enrichtment too.

Good luck!

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 am

Every foreigner smiles over his complete face after driving the German Autobahn with speed of 200 km/h! So come here to smile! :D
And there are so many other beautiful things in Germany and in Europe!

Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:43 am

schmid_th wrote:Every foreigner smiles over his complete face after driving the German Autobahn with speed of 200 km/h! So come here to smile! :D

Are you sure that´s not just a grimace of fear? :wink:

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 pm

charles wrote:
schmid_th wrote:Every foreigner smiles over his complete face after driving the German Autobahn with speed of 200 km/h! So come here to smile! :D

Well, it depends on the car you drive! :wink:

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:53 pm

charles wrote:

Actually it's quite silly that we Germans can put up laws, rules and restrictions for everything and actually comply with them. The only two things that are impossible to do anything about are speed limits and smoking in public areas. The only two things where would make (much) sense.

Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger :roll:

Charles

by Charles » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Actually it's quite silly that we Germans can put up laws, rules and restrictions for everything and actually comply with them. The only two things that are impossible to do anything about are speed limits and smoking in public areas. The only two things where would make (much) sense.

Yes, Gangolf...heilige Blech oder? But at least it looks like the smoking ban is coming in, slowly but hopefully soon! It`s amazing but the Italiens have very heavy penalties for breaking the smoking laws, we seemed to be so worried that our bars will be empty because of it. Smoking costs the health care and industry in Germany about 17 billion Euros a year. The government gets about 14 billion in tax on tobacco....

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:24 pm

charles wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:Actually it's quite silly that we Germans can put up laws, rules and restrictions for everything and actually comply with them. The only two things that are impossible to do anything about are speed limits and smoking in public areas. The only two things where would make (much) sense.

Yes, Gangolf...heilige Blech oder? But at least it looks like the smoking ban is coming in, slowly but hopefully soon! It`s amazing but the Italiens have very heavy penalties for breaking the smoking laws, we seemed to be so worried that our bars will be empty because of it. Smoking costs the health care and industry in Germany about 17 billion Euros a year. The government gets about 14 billion in tax on tobacco....

Sometimes the German politicians really embarrass our country. As you said in Italy and in other countries in Europe some laws are no problem...

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 pm

I love my Autobahn #555 = 285km/h

:twisted: 8) :lol:

65mph speed limit = driving your whole life in the 1st and 2nd gear - That´s not funny!

:? :? :?

I thought there are areas in the western US where you are allowed to drive as fast as you want not to fall in sleep? Right or wrong?

vancouver islander

by vancouver islander » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:37 am

Sebastian Hamm wrote:I thought there are areas in the western US where you are allowed to drive as fast as you want not to fall in sleep? Right or wrong?

Years ago, Wyoming had a "drive at your own discretion" speed limit. But it's long gone. Anywhere else?

supermarmot

by supermarmot » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:18 am

vancouver islander wrote:
Sebastian Hamm wrote:I thought there are areas in the western US where you are allowed to drive as fast as you want not to fall in sleep? Right or wrong?

Years ago, Wyoming had a "drive at your own discretion" speed limit. But it's long gone. Anywhere else?

montana had the same thing... but same story, speed limits are back.

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Back to the question - did he take the job yet?

PreviousNext

Return to Europe