Josh Lewis

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Cy Kaicener

Re: Josh Lewis

by Cy Kaicener » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:47 pm

So sorry to hear this Josh - get well soon

The following user would like to thank Cy Kaicener for this post
Josh Lewis

Jarpup

by Jarpup » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Hope you're continuing to get better and stronger. We're all thinking of you!

The following user would like to thank Jarpup for this post
Josh Lewis

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:57 pm

Have a quick recovery Josh :!: You'll follow enjoying the mountains...

The following user would like to thank Diego Sahagún for this post
Josh Lewis

lisae

by lisae » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:37 am

Josh, I just read your trip report. I am so glad you survived the fall and are recovering. Push, but not too hard, when you are ready. Best . . .

The following user would like to thank lisae for this post
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:39 am

A few journal entries this month:

November 12

Today marks Day 79 since my climbing accident. I often still feel like I got hit in the head making it difficult to concentrate, spell words right, and getting lost on a subject. It's not just what it does to me, it's the constant sensation of being hit which makes it very hard to forget an accident like this. The good news is that as of recently I experience short spells of feeling normal (brain wise) which feels really good. I often feel like I'm ready to start getting productive but then get hit with a heavy dose of sleepiness and much difficult focusing.

My pinky is still pretty messed up, but am still hopeful that there is a good chance that it might not have to get amputated. My progress is slowing, but at least it's getting better in ways. Numbness still persists, the scar tissue has it badly locked up. It's still healing so even to keep the little movement that I have in it I have to work it many times a day and do hours of various strained positions. I'm still going to physical therapy and will soon be doubling it. Last night I removed a bit of puss from my collar bone incision to prevent infection.

I am thankful to have two hands, but do have a lot of wishing to be productive and boredom. It's not just something I can fight. The harder I try, the worse my concussion becomes. The more I strain my pinky, the more scar tissue keeps building in. I'm obviously working it well, but not too hard or else I will deal with more consequences. I miss working hard, going on runs that thrashed me, climbing mountains, taking photos, solving creative problems, biking, seeing friends and many other activities. Trying to stay positive.

November 15

Hiked over 12 miles today with a 15 pound pack through some snow and ice. Cascade Pass looked great as usual. I'm really glad my collar bone could take it. Even my concussion treated me very well today.

November 25

Today is Day 93 since my climbing accident. My therapist is becoming pessimistic about my pinky, it is slowly getting worse as the weeks go on. I am working it so often that it makes it difficult to make any serious plans. The concussion pains are back pressing into my head giving the illusion once again that I was freshly hit hard in the head. The good news is that I do experience times where I don't feel it (at least for the most part). It's certainly better than it was a few weeks ago, but as I type right now it's the worst it's been since the last time it felt pretty bad. Thinking hard about things is still not a good idea. A friend of mine tried to explain something to me (not rocket science) and I felt the head pressure getting thick once again. Not a day goes by where I can forget the accident, even if I try.

The good news is that I'll be getting a new camera coming up (more resolution and better controls) and today got a new pair of biking boots. My old camera is still pretty awesome, but the accident damaged the manual control settings making it harder to take technical photos. The blood I'm sure didn't help. Sunset mode is completely broken. Auto still works great.

Still hanging in there, trying to fight boredom. It's a shame I'm not supposed to think too much which is why I don't try to learn advanced coding and such. I ran a short distance today which made me feel even worse for quite some time. At least my neck isn't as messed up, I think my back is getting better too. Also trying to incorporate some better foods into my diet. Thanksgiving should be pretty good, looking forward to it.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Marmaduke, yatsek

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm

This might be the hardest time psychologically, Josh, in terms of dealing with the ups and downs. Glad you're still writing--recovery journals like this have been really helpful for me (and for doctors). Wishing you well.

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 am

January 2nd Journal Entry:

Day 130 since my climbing accident: My head is pounding and I'm still feeling like I am constantly hit in the head by a rock. I often wonder if I will ever see the end of my head pains. College is seeming less likely as the winter quarter approaches. Amazingly I have the financial resources but am "physically" not ready. It seems that any sort of stimulation makes it quite a bit worse. This includes running, hiking, movies, music, thoughtful conversations, reading, and even doing my therapy. I've officially banned running for at least two months and will probably not hike for quite some time even if it is easy. I am often tempted to forget the rules and do something exciting anyways but know of the serious consequences.

I am still re-learning how to spell. Recently I found out that I couldn't even remember the ABC's until I examined it very carefully and resorted it. I'm still thankful to be able to use both hands and not feel my spine crunch at every movement (for the most part, minor pops still prevail). Every now and then I fight spells of depression. Getting on a good sleeping schedule is still difficult due to sleeping 12-16 hours at times. I'm a little sad that my therapy is getting near the end, there is a very good chance I won't be getting more mobility in my finger. Perhaps a little bit more if I'm lucky. On the bright side I can fit my hand in a of big glove in about 45 seconds which is a huge improvement.

In this world of weakness I am bound. The voices of defeat whisper in my ear. I do not want to prove them right which is why I cannot afford to give up. There is too much at stake.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Bark Eater, chugach mtn boy, LesterLong

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Though it's much easier said than done, try to stay positive Josh, and know that lots of us here are rooting for you.

Happy new year.

Cheers, Rob

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Buz Groshong, Josh Lewis

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am

Yup, stay positive Josh. I believe that's the most important thing. Féliz Año, you'll recover soon mate :!:

The following user would like to thank Diego Sahagún for this post
Josh Lewis

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:45 am

Maybe you don't see it, but your posts are lucid and frankly, your grammar has improved!

I don't think I ever experienced anything as bad. But i did have "right side neglect" so bad that I would see something dangerous on my right side, not register that it was dangerous, and would follow through with inappropriate behavior (which cased me to lunge, smack my head on a rock and fall 25'). It took about 2 years for that to get better. My tongue would begin to burn when I spoke; that still happens sometimes, but nowhere as often.

Time...

Previous

Return to General