just left Nepal

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
harpner

just left Nepal

by harpner » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:16 am

Just left Nepal into Tibet to start our Cho Oyu expedition. Man I'm glad to get out of that sh*t hole Kathmandu. Surprisingly internet and general cleaniness so much better once you leave. Anyway waiting around for the roads to open at 11pm because they're doing road construction for the Everest base camp highway.

After Cho Oyu, I'm spending a day resting in the hotel then off to climb Ama Dablam on a fast schedule (1 week total). Should be a blast. Will update as the story unfolds...

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:41 pm

Good Luck Harpner, where are you getting internet access, roadside internet cafes? Will you have access on the mountain? Stay Healthy.

no avatar
harpner

by harpner » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:00 pm

Just getting internet at internet cafes. I doubt there's much internet past Tingri. In Zhangmu now and leaving tomorrow for Tingri. The TMA put us in some hole of a hotel and I found out there's a 10x better and cleaner place down the street for 50 RMB for a private bedroom. Well worth it! I'd encourage anyone that goes to Tibet not to put up with the hotels the RMA fixes you up with up...

I've been lucky so far as most people have had some sort of illness but I've been feeling good. A little headache at 12k ft last night but nothing major. Did some hiking today and feel good.

BigLee

by BigLee » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 pm

harpner wrote:The TMA put us in some hole of a hotel and I found out there's a 10x better and cleaner place down the street for 50 RMB for a private bedroom. Well worth it! I'd encourage anyone that goes to Tibet not to put up with the hotels the RMA fixes you up with up...

Welcome to China mate :wink: If there is anywhere in the world where room prices bear little relationship with quality it's China. The Y30 rooms often look the same as the Y150 rooms to me. I've found I've always been able to bargain down a lot of the mid-range hotels though.

Return to Asia