Lambs Slide Rescue

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
MarkDidier

Lambs Slide Rescue

by MarkDidier » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Heard about this on Thursday morning on NPR. Surprised it hadn't hit the forums yet...and raised the usual ire of many SPers.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mountains/crews-work-to-rescue-climber-stuck-on-ledge-at-13000-feet-on-east-face-of-longs-peak

MoapaPk

Re: Lambs Slide Rescue

by MoapaPk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:25 pm

@!#$%^&*()!

Well, the guy was undoubtedly clueless... but after reading later accounts, I saw he seems to have some innate talent, and he was apologetic and crestfallen that he had put people at risk. Maybe he will learn and put that talent to good use.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Been discussed for a few days on MP.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:09 pm

WyomingSummits wrote:Been discussed for a few days on MP.

And a few more days on 14ers.com

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Yes, glad he made it off safe. And props to all the SAR personnel.

Maybe I was just trying to stir the pot on this. I remember the day when this type of incident would have made for a multi-page thread on SP. :(

Matt Lemke wrote:And a few more days on 14ers.com

Yeah, I glanced through the thread over there after I saw your comment Matt. Truth be told, I tend to avoid 14ers.com, unless I have plans for one of those peaks...which I don't this year (unless I decide to combine Longs with my plans for Meeker this summer). I find sites focused on one specific area to get old and stale. 14ers is a great site, with a lot of good beta, but...it's not SP! Here I can read about the mountains of Colorado...as well as those in Wyoming, Washington, North Carolina, etc. I can only read so many trip reports just about 14ers!

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:14 am

MarkDidier wrote:Yes, glad he made it off safe. And props to all the SAR personnel.

Maybe I was just trying to stir the pot on this. I remember the day when this type of incident would have made for a multi-page thread on SP. :(

Yeah, I glanced through the thread over there after I saw your comment Matt. Truth be told, I tend to avoid 14ers.com, unless I have plans for one of those peaks...which I don't this year (unless I decide to combine Longs with my plans for Meeker this summer). I find sites focused on one specific area to get old and stale. 14ers is a great site, with a lot of good beta, but...it's not SP! Here I can read about the mountains of Colorado...as well as those in Wyoming, Washington, North Carolina, etc. I can only read so many trip reports just about 14ers!

That's exactly the same reason why I am on SP...I never stay in one area forever and would never limit myself to mountains of one state.

Dave B

by Dave B » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:
MarkDidier wrote:Yes, glad he made it off safe. And props to all the SAR personnel.

That's exactly the same reason why I am on SP...I never stay in one area forever and would never limit myself to mountains of one state.

This is only slightly retarded. Before we get too far sniffing our own farts, let's not forget that (1) there are already two threads on the otherwise "worldly and well traveled SP" about this incident and (2) 14ers.com is about, well 14ers, why the surprise that a 14er related incident would be discussed ad nauseum there?

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 pm

I am not surprised Dave...just annoyed at the vibe at 14ers.com so I for the most part quit posting there when I am not in Colorado, and only occasionally when I am back. It baffles me as to why people from 14ers bash SP as a low quality site.

Dave B

by Dave B » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:It baffles me as to why people from 14ers bash SP as a low quality site.

I've honestly seen none of this, maybe I'm not paying close enough attention. More often than not 14ers seems to be the target on other sites, SP being no exception.

I do understand this to some extent though; 14ers does get a bit gumby-dense and myopic (especially in summer).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Sticks and stones

Fletch

by Fletch » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Climbing websites are like cell phone companies, airlines, and DMVs. They are all bad, some just less bad.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Fletch wrote:Climbing websites are like cell phone companies, airlines, and DMVs. They are all bad, some just less bad.

LMAO...Been a long afternoon...I needed that one. Thanks!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 pm

I've honestly seen none of this, maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

Yes; it happens, but only occasionally and by a select few.

The two sites are totally different.

One thing that is good about 14ers.com is that it has a lot of active members in Colorado (for obvious reasons). The Colorado section of the SP forum has been fairly quiet in the past few years.

When looking for partners for Colorado stuff, I've had better luck on 14ers.com, in recent years at least.

I don't think the two sites are comparable to each other though. One site is Colorado-centric and SP is world wide. If I was going to ask for some beta on anything outside Colorado, I'd look to SP first. Also, other than the forums, 14ers.com doesn't have any beta on other mountains other than the Colorado 13ers and 14ers. If you are looking for forum information on Colorado only, 14ers.com is probably the best place to get it.

Return to Colorado