Las Vegas area peaks, Sunday 4/18

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:42 am

shilow wrote:Does anyone know the current conditions on the routes up to Griffith, Charleston, or Mummy???

From reports:
Griffith and Chaz: deep snow, fairly consolidated in the avalanche chute.

Mummy: probably consolidated on the scree slope; a few more inches fell yesterday.

jmatthys

by jmatthys » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:35 am

MoapaPk wrote:
shilow wrote:Does anyone know the current conditions on the routes up to Griffith, Charleston, or Mummy???

From reports:
Griffith and Chaz: deep snow, fairly consolidated in the avalanche chute.

Mummy: probably consolidated on the scree slope; a few more inches fell yesterday.

I went up the chute south of cathedral rock (avalanche chute that cathedral trail switchbacks through) and topped out at the meadow on the South Loop on Sat (4/3/10). Snow was consolidated in the chutes that had direct sun, perfect for crampons in the morning. Areas that were in the shade or not in direct sunlight were soft early in the day. Later in the day, everything turned into mashed taters. Weather was great though...

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:55 am

Is it possible to do Windy, Devil and Pahrump in a long day? Maybe on the trail at 7 and off last peak and to vehicle by 6 or so? Then I can do Turtlehead only Sunday morning in a half day.

brianhughes

by brianhughes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:Is it possible to do Windy, Devil and Pahrump in a long day? Maybe on the trail at 7 and off last peak and to vehicle by 6 or so? Then I can do Turtlehead only Sunday morning in a half day.

That would be almost 8,000 vertical feet in one day, mostly off trail, with a fair amount of driving in between :shock: :shock:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:18 am

One other option, in two weeks is it possible that there would be relatively little snow on Cathedral Rock, Cockscomb and Harris Mountain? If so, these look better than Pahrump, Devil and Windy, yes? This looks to be about 12 miles R/T and 5,570 in elevation gain, pretty easy. Only Cockscomb at 2 miles one way with 2,800 ft of gain has some minor rise to it,
Last edited by Marmaduke on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 am

brianhughes wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:Is it possible to do Windy, Devil and Pahrump in a long day? Maybe on the trail at 7 and off last peak and to vehicle by 6 or so? Then I can do Turtlehead only Sunday morning in a half day.

That would be almost 8,000 vertical feet in one day, mostly off trail, with a fair amount of driving in between :shock: :shock:

Guess that's a no. I didn't notice that much verticle but I also didn't look real close. The drive to Pahrump is just far enough, trying to bag 3 peaks, not just 2. And some of the others near Pahrump just don't look like worth doing.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:03 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
brianhughes wrote:

Guess that's a no. I didn't notice that much verticle but I also didn't look real close. The drive to Pahrump is just far enough, trying to bag 3 peaks, not just 2. And some of the others near Pahrump just don't look like worth doing.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your time and thoughts, even..... :shock: , yes those too. What about my above post of Cathedral Rock, etc?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:32 pm

There are lots of ways to string together multiple peaks near Vegas without having to hit dirt roads, e.g.:
http://hwstock.org/gdtr09/

This starts from Calico Basin, so there is no late exit time. It might be a bit warm on Apr 18. If you don't like exposed class 3, then substitute Kraft Mountain (The 4714 peak near the beginning) and drop Red Cap. No trails, except on the W side of Turtlehead. The drop off the N of Greycap is a little tricky, but can be kept modest class 3.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:33 am

MoapaPk wrote:There are lots of ways to string together multiple peaks near Vegas without having to hit dirt roads, e.g.:

This starts from Calico Basin, so there is no late exit time. It might be a bit warm on Apr 18. If you don't like exposed class 3, then substitute Kraft Mountain (The 4714 peak near the beginning) and drop Red Cap. No trails, except on the W side of Turtlehead. The drop off the N of Greycap is a little tricky, but can be kept modest class 3.

And what do you think about the hgher peaks, Cathedral, Coskscomb & Harris? Plenty of snow or no? And the class 3 is ok, the exposed I don't like. But all the pics of the knife ridge on Moapa don't look exposed?

Sorry for the late posts(PST), Tough times, own my own business and work till 10, wind down, eat some dinner and I'm on SP. But great weather is here, so I'll check out earlier
Last edited by Marmaduke on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:32 am

Sorry just a bump

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:There are lots of ways to string together multiple peaks near Vegas without having to hit dirt roads, e.g.:

And what do you think about the hgher peaks, Cathedral, Coskscomb & Harris? Plenty of snow or no? And the class 3 is ok, the exposed I don't like. But all the pics of the knife ridge on Moapa don't look exposed?

Sorry for the late posts(PST), Tough times, own my own business and work till 10, wind down, eat some dinner and I'm on SP. But great weather is here, so I'll check out earlier

I saw Harris from about 10 miles away on Saturday; even the south side had a lot of snow.

Since the cliffs on Mummy were pretty bare, Cockscomb may be OK by the Stanley B Springs route, but there will still be snow. Don't try it from the class 3 routes.

Cathedral will have snow, but I bet there is a boot track much of the way.

Moapa knife edge: it has never bothered me, but on the thinnest parts, there is at least 40' of drop on each side (several hundred in some places).

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

I saw Harris from about 10 miles away on Saturday; even the south side had a lot of snow.

Since the cliffs on Mummy were pretty bare, Cockscomb may be OK by the Stanley B Springs route, but there will still be snow. Don't try it from the class 3 routes.

Cathedral will have snow, but I bet there is a boot track much of the way.

Moapa knife edge: it has never bothered me, but on the thinnest parts, there is at least 40' of drop on each side (several hundred in some places).

Thanks, yea I leave Moapa for another day. I'm sure I'll be back, Thanks for your help!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 am

Well< I'll start with Windy, go to Potosi and hope to have time for Devil. On Monday, just Turtlehead. Moapa and more the next time. Also Arizona Springs on Tuesday.

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)