Leaving SP?

Put a page up for adoption, find a page up for adoption, or report an abandoned page in need of adoption.
Lolli

Re: Leaving SP?

by Lolli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 pm

lcarreau wrote:I think deletion is a great idea. Even if the original owner still cares about the page, they should still keep it updated to a satisfactory level in regards to SP standards.

If not, then a more "active" member should begin the page anew.

I think the OP is perfectly right. Give away pages, which are of benefit to others. If they're not personal, of course.
Considering that you don't have any mountain pages, (albums is another matter) it's easy to bring forward the opinion that deletion is the best thing. I think it's a matter of experiencing making pages. Beside the facts themselves, it's a lot of work doing a good page.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:
Fred Spicker wrote:Bob,

Does this mean that if I am sharing a page with someone - one of us as owner and the other as administrator - and they delete their membership, the page will be gone even if my membership stays?

Fred, as long as there is at least an admin - and I think even if there is only somebody with edit rights (not sure though) - the page stays when the user is deleted with the elves' deletion tool. Bob is right of course - if an owner deletes the page manually it doesn't help if there is an admin.

That is the case. I came across that situation recently; a picture owner had left some time ago but had given someone else edit rights, so the pictures stayed.

So I was wrong in the OP and have corrected that.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand now, but beside the example above, if the owner leaves, and even if there's an admin, the entire page goes into limbo. Happened with my Scandes page. One must change the ownership first.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Lolli, I just tested it by creating an account, posting a page, and adding me as an admin. Then I deleted the new account. The page is still there--http://www.summitpost.org/test-page-deleted-soon/695478-- and my name is with it, though the privileges info shows me as an admin, not owner.

So if there is an admin, the page seems to stay if the owner goes. I'm not sure if it works the same for editing privileges but can test that next.

The page will be gone soon so it doesn't mess up the What's New page.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Lolli

by Lolli » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Yes, the page stayed, but the admin could not change priviligies, if I recall rightly. And there was some other issues too, which I have forgotten. Gangolf or Bob fixed it, maybe they remember.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Lolli wrote:Yes, the page stayed, but the admin could not change priviligies, if I recall rightly. And there was some other issues too, which I have forgotten. Gangolf or Bob fixed it, maybe they remember.

Lolli, I did the fixing but as far as I recall only pages without additional user with edit / admin rights got deleted. As you still knew the page IDs I could retrieve some from the page histories.

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes, I thought it was you, but was a bit unsure. Anyway, not the deleted pages, but there was something funny with the Scandes page, which was left up - Proterra was admin, and it had no owner, so some things were impossible to do. I'm very sorry I can't remember, I didn't pay much attention as it was just a nuisance among other ones when putting things back up again.

I really appreciated your help. It saved a lot of work.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Lolli wrote:Yes, I thought it was you, but was a bit unsure. Anyway, not the deleted pages, but there was something funny with the Scandes page, which was left up - Proterra was admin, and it had no owner, so some things were impossible to do. I'm very sorry I can't remember, I didn't pay much attention as it was just a nuisance among other ones when putting things back up again.

I really appreciated your help. It saved a lot of work.

Yep, that's about it - admins (or editors) can't do everything with the page. Don't ask since I think admins should be able to do everything but delete pages. So once a user gets him/herself deleted the page stays but without an owner some things might not be possible. In that case just ask the elves to convert the admin into an owner and everything should be allright.

Different with pages grabbed from the version history. These pages will look like any other page but won't make an appearance on most of the lists on SP. They might even be hidden from the owner's profile. I have never thoroughly tested this - but then it only happens every other year .

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:07 pm

You did fix the ownership too
and then everything was back to normal
:-D

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:So if there is an admin, the page seems to stay if the owner goes. I'm not sure if it works the same for editing privileges but can test that next.

The latter part would be useful to know for this page http://www.summitpost.org/the-frey-cerr ... ral/518464 for which I expanded a lot last year as an editor given the owner hasn't logged in 2-3 years. It would be a shame to lose this page in the event the owner deleted their account as there's not too much on the region and a number of new pages are being written by paisajeroamericano at the moment which would become children of it eventually.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 pm

You are the new owner Baarb.

FYI pages do not get deleted if they have either an admin or an editor and the owner is deleted.

Previous

Return to Page Adoption Forum