Lincoln Peak - Vermont

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Brian Jenkins

Lincoln Peak - Vermont

by Brian Jenkins » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Is Lincoln Peak in Vermont's Green Mountains considered a separate mountain or not due to it's low prominence? Is there a rule as to how much prominence a peak has to have in New England/Vermont to be considered a mountain? Just hiked this ridge from Abraham to Ellen last week and I noted all the signs along the way denoting Little Abe, Lincoln Peak, Nancy Hanks Peak while Cutts Peak didn't have one. (Interestingly enough, I didn't see any sign for Abraham and Ellen, the two big ones on this ridge.) I note none of those in-between named peaks are on SP so was wondering if these are not considered separate peaks but rather to be sub-summits of the two high ones?

Bark Eater

Re: Lincoln Peak - Vermont

by Bark Eater » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm

I believe in New York (at least for the ADK high peaks list) it is 300 ft of prominence and 3/4 mile distance. I don't recall if that holds consistent for the rest of the northeast.

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:56 pm

The NH48 has no distance criterion at all, just a 200' prominence rule. The same rules apply to the NE67 and NEHH (same rules committee at the AMC).

The AMC has no authority to determine what's a "mountain", though their maps get used by a lot of hikers, so over time their decisions can change local usage. For example, there's an officially-nameless 4000-footer in NH that everybody calls "Owl's Head", because that's what the AMC calls it. (I know Brian hiked it in 2014.)

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks much for the clarification. Figured it had to not make the list for a peak or it would already be on SP. Perhaps the signs on those "summits" are more for skiers than hikers/peakbaggers.

Ah yes, Owl's Head. That hike out was the second time I hiked out Lincoln Woods hours after dark by headlamp with moose thrashing in the swamps around us. Always gets the heart thumping!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)