Living in Calagary

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
ExcitableBoy

Living in Calagary

by ExcitableBoy » Fri May 13, 2011 11:13 pm

The obvious proximity to world class mountains aside, how do folks like city or suburb life in Calgary? Any tips for US expats looking to make a two year committment?
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

surgent

Re: Living in Calagary

by surgent » Fri May 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Grow a Lanny McDonald mustache, talk about 1989 a lot, you'll fit right in. :)

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Sat May 14, 2011 1:34 am

Best city in the world to live for both climbing and skiing but I am biased.

Fast growing city so lots of construction and new housing areas. I like the West side best for easy and faster access to mountains, new houses, reasonable downtown commute, schools, cleaner air, etc. but more expensive. Reasonable bike path system but otherwise a car orientated city unless you rent a condo in the inner city. Very clean and well maintained - nice parks.
Any specific questions?

The following user would like to thank Bill Kerr for this post
ExcitableBoy

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat May 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Bill might be biased no doubt...but Calgary is a very unique city for its size. The size of San Antonio, but lacking interstates...something the canucks just did not follow our lead on much, even in the western cities where they could have planned it out better. Thus, like he implies, but I will put even more emphasis on it...if you love going to the mountains, you need to position yourself as west as possible. The airport is northeast. We lived in Canmore. It could damn near take us as long to get to the airport once we entered the western perimeter of Calgary as it took us to get from Canmore to there. Their park and trail system is 2nd to none in North America. I have run their marathon several times, which is not that impressive, but in training for it, got acquainted with their vast connected trail system. Unreal. I also believe they might have the largest dog park in North America? something like that. The river is a great asset of course as it would be to any town of that size. They have Costco, etc, etc.....the urban aspect is pretty much the same as any town south of the border. The culture is much more diverse than you could imagine though. Canada has active legal immigration and Calgary (Alberta) is obviously the land of opportunity due to energy concerns despite what might be happening in the rest of the economy. Folks, languages and products from all over the world. Full on Korean markets, the size of Walmarts or Targets. A China town that rivals any outside of San Fran. Tons of eastern Europeans, if one is to generalize by culture, my favorite folks to rope up with...whereas I have become so prejudicial to western euro trash who talk big, but fail in the extreme backcountry. The eastern euros are the real thing when it comes to fitness or technical climbing. A very tolerant town with a slightly liberal-libertarian mixed slant but centered in a very conservative Province. An interesting hybrid politically to say the least. I can't live in a town that size myself, but we enjoy visiting, mixing with their running clubs, etc. Good vibe. Enjoy and good luck with your move if you go forth.

The following user would like to thank Dow Williams for this post
Arthur Digbee, ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun May 29, 2011 12:00 am

Bill Kerr wrote:Reasonable bike path system but otherwise a car orientated city unless you rent a condo in the inner city. Any specific questions?

How is the mass transit system? If a couple were to live in the city would it be easy enough to get by with one car?

Bill Kerr

Re: Living in Calgary

by Bill Kerr » Sun May 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Calgary has good bus and light rail compared to most US cities so not bad if you work downtown. Harder to get across town or out to the industrial areas in the NE or SE.
Also harder to get to the university and colleges from some parts of city as you may need to transfer buses/trains versus a shorter drive.
One car can work fine depending on where you work and where you choose to live.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun May 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks Bill!

nickmech

by nickmech » Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 pm

It's Calgary. Large SUV's and pick-ups rule.

Return to Canada and Alaska