Looking for a Grade II/<5.7 backcountry climb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
analogandrew

Looking for a Grade II/<5.7 backcountry climb

by analogandrew » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 am

My wife and I are going to be leaving our little one with the grandparents for 3-5 days this August in Colorado and we're looking to get out into the Colorado alpine for some backpacking and climbing combination.

My wife is more in it for the backpacking and scenery, and myself more in it for the Type 2 climbing fun.

While I am a confident 5.8 trad leader and have been backpacking for 15+ years I have yet to do any 5th class climbing in the alpine. Also while I'm fairly familiar with the Rockies in Colorado, it's been 10 years since I've last lived there. We're looking to keep the climb(s) under 5.7. I'm basically looking for beta on any climbs that would my wife and I could do from the backcountry with a Grade II/soft Grade IIII level of commitment, straight-forward route-finding, and decent bailing options.

There's a lot on MP and Summit Post to sift through so I was hoping I can get some first-hand suggestions. Thanks!

I also promised my wife a night or two at a relaxing mountain resort afterwards and that the more ambitious our objective is the, the nicer the spa. Meh, fair trade I guess :)

Return to Colorado