Looking for Flatirons Suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
davidwilkes

Looking for Flatirons Suggestions

by davidwilkes » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:45 pm

I will be in Boulder for a few days. I've climbed/led steeper routes there before, but have always skipped the "easy" stuff on the Flatirons. I'm a 5.9 Gunks leader and will bring a very light rack, just a piece here and there for mental protection, BUT, I'm traveling with a climbing newbie who may not be able to belay a leader, is fairly scared, and is basically a "no" to rapeling from anything.
Soooo, I'm looking for something moderate (but more than a 4th class scramble) that I could solo comfortably (say 5.0 ish) but will put her on a short running belay to keep her safe (well, me too), and ideally there is a walk-off at the summit so she doesn't need to rappel. Maybe 3 or 4 pitches so she gets a sense of exposure.
I looked at "Freeway"....? Any recommendations that would hit the above marks? Much appreciated.

McCannster

Re: Looking for Flatirons Suggestions

by McCannster » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:33 pm

Freeway is good, but also very crowded. Here are some formations that I find just as good, if not better than Freeway, keeping in mind your specifications of not too hard/no rappel.

-Stairway to Heaven (long climb but very scenic and leisurely- can walk off if you don't do the final ~200 feet)

-Angels Way (also a very long route, but excellent quality, and easy climbing. Long-ish approach. Easy walk off the formation, but long and steep descent down loose social trail)

-Regency/Royal Arch (short, but easy downclimb; main trail to get up there is closed at the moment, but approaching via Mesa Trail and descending either Regency descent or Woods Quarry Rescue trail is fine)

-The Hand

-Der Zerkle (Sunnyside II route- probably the easiest on this list, and can link into the Hand)

-First Flatironette

Return to Colorado