May CO climb ideas for a beginner?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Shaaarrrp

May CO climb ideas for a beginner?

by Shaaarrrp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello all,
My brother is getting married in Nederland on May 19 in a few months and I'd like to plan something for the week after. I realize a lot depends on weather so having a few options would be good going into it. I would be looking for something that includes a night or two in the backcountry.

If there is a lot of snow I really have no experience with snow/glacier travel other than snowshoeing to Inspiration Point in Yosemite (with a lot of snow) and crossing a few glaciers on the way up Middle Teton (which felt very sketchy although I didn't have spikes at the time). I have an ice axe/snowspikes but my experience is far from extensive and if I was looking at going up something with snow it would have to be more of a beginner style ascent with no danger of monstrous avalanches or other stuff you encounter on hardcore winter climbs like crevasses and such. I understand self arrest but have no experience with ropes so anything super technical is out.

On the flipside if snow/glacier travel is not an issue I enjoy class 3/low class 4 scrambling and climbing. The only real mountains I've done are Hagues Peak (with 2 others) and Middle Teton (solo) so I'm looking for something similar to those in terms of ruggedness and difficulty.

Soooo, any suggestions for good mountains that might be suitable for climbing at my level in May would be much appreciated. Feel free to include any in WY that you know of as I'll be willing to drive a decent distance from Ned.

TYTY

Matt Lemke

Re: May CO climb ideas for a beginner?

by Matt Lemke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Anything good in Wyoming is far from Nederland. James Peak would be good. Nice day climb on good snow in May

http://www.summitpost.org/james-peak-st-mary-s-glacier/150240

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
Shaaarrrp

Danny504

by Danny504 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Snow will still be pretty thick above 8/9k in May but won't be anything I'm sure you haven't been through. Since you'll be in Nederland I recommend you check out the Indian Peaks.

http://www.summitpost.org/indian-peaks-co/170983

The following user would like to thank Danny504 for this post
Shaaarrrp

theREALCarpeDM

by theREALCarpeDM » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 pm

The problem with the Indian Peaks in May is access / longer approaches. The Fourth of July trailhead may be accessible, but also may not be. (It seems the last 2 years, at least, it has become accessible at about that time in May.) That gets you access to South Arapaho and nearby Old Baldy (among others). The traverse to North Arapaho would be great and may be within your abilities if you were attempting it during summer, but I'm guessing not within your abilities in May. I say that only because when I was reasonably new to scrambling and had no snow experience, I turned back in mid/late June due to snow.

The gate for the Brainard Lake area (for several peaks) usually does not open until around the beginning/middle of June. That tacks on several miles round-trip to visits to these peaks.

Still in the Indian Peaks but closer to Rocky Mtn NP are 12er St Vrain & nearby Meadow Mtn.

James Peak is a good suggestion. Flattop orMt Lady Washington in Rocky Mtn NP come to mind as well.

Any of these places are nice to visit and hike even if you don't bag a peak.

Return to Colorado