Mexico safe?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
ericd

Mexico safe?

by ericd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Anyone know how safe it is near Puebla, Mexico these days? Violence in Mexico is only getting worse. Despite this, I'm planning a solo trip up Pico de Orizaba next month (October 2010) but want to take all precautions not get kidnapped or mugged while travelling to/from the mountain. Is there any group going in October? Thanks, Eric

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:27 pm

While I haven't been down in two years, I have made three climbing-related trips to that part of Mexico and never had a problem. But that was then...and this is now.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Go with a large group, that way if one of you gets gang-raped and another is decapitated, you still have a shot at an escape.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:14 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Go with a large group, that way if one of you gets gang-raped and another is decapitated, you still have a shot at an escape.

While the humor in your response is not lost on me, it reminds me of the situation in Ecuador (Illiniza Norte) a couple years back, where a guy held a group of hikers at gunpoint while he raped one of the women in front of them. Or something along those lines...

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 pm

cp0915 wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Go with a large group, that way if one of you gets gang-raped and another is decapitated, you still have a shot at an escape.

While the humor in your response is not lost on me, it reminds me of the situation in Ecuador (Illiniza Norte) a couple years back, where a guy held a group of hikers at gunpoint while he raped one of the women in front of them. Or something along those lines...

It is definitely sick- doing something like that. I read the same thing occurring in Mexico however. And decapitations.

I wouldn't go there now. Not paranoid, I'm sure 1000s go and come back safely. But there are plenty of other places I'd be just as happy going instead.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:15 pm

I have a few friends that live in Mexico (DF) and they say its as safe as any big city. Fortunately Izta, Malinche and Orizaba are east of the big city and no where near the main drug trafficking towns or areas where violence tends to occur.

I am planning on going in Nov. I am still doing research to finalize a schedule.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:00 am

Fletch wrote:
cp0915 wrote: in Ecuador (Illiniza Norte) a couple years back, where a guy held a group of hikers at gunpoint while he raped one of the women in front of them. Or something along those lines...

... happens everywhere, everyday, in every country (including the good ol' USA).

No, it doesn't. I specifically referenced a group of hikers at high elevation in a foreign country "exploited" by someone with a gun, in an area with a history of significant instability. (The precise position our OP could find himself in, by the way.) The Ecuador incident wasn't mere hazing-gone-wrong, and there was no indication that it had anything to do with dope. But there's every indication it had to do with a local thug preying on "defenseless" tourist hiker-types, out of their element and with nothing but some food and water on their backs.

Mexico is a fine place...

It sure can be. I've been there a dozen times. But this kind of changing climate calls for caution, not political correctness.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:06 am

Doesn't a lot of it have to do with Politics ???

I think I'd feeler safer hiking in Mexico than I would in Iran.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=11667027

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 am

Not to be paranoid, and I haven't been there in years, but from what I've read kidnapping for ransom has increased greatly, and lots of ordinary Mexicans are fearful of that. Don't think a gringo would be immune from that. And they just arrested some drug kingpin-type in Puebla recently. I guess chances are there'd be no problem, just a little concerning right now.

Cheeseburglar

by Cheeseburglar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:07 am

I've never had any problems in central Mexico.
I don't even speak fluent Spanish and when I go down there I rent a car and drive it around like someone else owns it.
Don't buy into all that bullshit by the fear mongers.
Central Mexico is pretty safe. About as safe as Costa Rica from my experience.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:02 am

I'd say it is as safe as East LA or downtown Vegas.

no avatar
omg2010

Re: Mexico safe?

by omg2010 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:10 am

I went to Malinche , Izta and Orizaba the last 2 weeks for training for the next season and my comentary is "the Mexico volcanoes route is safe". Public transport between Mexico city to Tlachichuca, Puebla, Amecameca, the aproach to the mountains too. Thanks and GOOD CLIMB!!!

potreroed

Re: Mexico safe?

by potreroed » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:13 pm

The media hype is overblown. Mexico is generally safe as long as you're not involved in the drug trade. Check out my new Potrero Chico web site and blog for more on safety issues:
[url]magicedspotrerochico.com[/url]

Next

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean