Minarets Snow Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
PellucidWombat

Minarets Snow Conditions?

by PellucidWombat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Especially on the Rock Route of Clyde Minaret. Considering the high snow year, I could see it as possible that there is still some snow on this route.

I'm wondering how much snow I'd still need to travel on there and whether it is worth hauling up the crampons vs. suffering with chopping some steps or doing a rappel or two in the worst case scenario for descending the route.

TheGeneral

Re: Minarets Snow Conditions?

by TheGeneral » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:12 am

Last weekend, from Long Creek, they looked dry. Snow on the SE Glacier of Ritter was all we could see from there. Things have melted out fast.
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

SJD

by SJD » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:58 am

Cruddy photo from the Vista taken at dusk on 8/5/11.

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:58 pm

You will have to cross two steep snowfields to get to the Rock route where you might want crampons. One is above Iceberg Lake and the other one is in the picture from SJD. If you go early, the one above Iceberg will be pretty solid (still can be crossed without crampons but it will be slow). The one on the minaret will already catch the sun and you could just kick in steps. In my experience last weekend on Abbot (no crampons), the abundant snow cups actually helped on steep slopes this year. You will need an axe in any case.

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Looking down on Iceberg & Cecile Lakes from Banner's East Corner on Friday -

Most of the snow we encountered last week was runnelled and suncupped, but some of the north-facing slopes were smooth and rock hard in the morning. I remember heading up that way in early September 2009 and there was way less snow.. particularly getting up to Cecile from Iceberg.

The mosquitoes were still going strong and carrying off small children :twisted:
Taaaake !

Return to California