Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes area

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
BHunewill

Re: Missing friend in Mammoth Lakes area

by BHunewill » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 am

Like others, I did not see his name in the Ritter or Banner registers. Did not see his name in the Mt. Davis register either. Summited them over the last few days.

obsidian

by obsidian » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi,...
I've been up in Mammoth Lakes all summer,...and, it seems odd that Matt would disappear without a trace (especially since he's young and a competent climber). If you are familiar with the terrain in the Minarets and surrounding area, you know that most of it is not that difficult. Also, it is a very popular area,...and, there have been many tourists and locals hiking into the Minarets Wilderness.
...So, I'm wondering,...is it possible that Matt had a reason to want to disappear ? It would be very easy to do so,...and, he could be anywhere on the planet.
...Just a thought,...

ROL

by ROL » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:12 am

obsidian wrote:Hi,...
I've been up in Mammoth Lakes all summer,...and, it seems odd that Matt would disappear without a trace (especially since he's young and a competent climber). If you are familiar with the terrain in the Minarets and surrounding area, you know that most of it is not that difficult.

Being aware of relevant history can be a good thing. It took a week's long search by some of the finest climbers around back in the 1930's, and eventual luck by one accomplished and stubborn Norman Clyde, to finally locate and inter a 30 year old Walter A. (Pete) Starr, Jr. on Michael Minaret.

The following user would like to thank ROL for this post
Marmaduke

artrock23

by artrock23 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:40 am

obsidian wrote:Hi,...
I've been up in Mammoth Lakes all summer,...and, it seems odd that Matt would disappear without a trace (especially since he's young and a competent climber). If you are familiar with the terrain in the Minarets and surrounding area, you know that most of it is not that difficult. Also, it is a very popular area,...and, there have been many tourists and locals hiking into the Minarets Wilderness.
...So, I'm wondering,...is it possible that Matt had a reason to want to disappear ? It would be very easy to do so,...and, he could be anywhere on the planet.
...Just a thought,...

Ritter/Minaret area "not that difficult"? Compared to what? Those peaks have claimed a number of lives, many of them experienced climbers. If Matt's remains are up there, it could be quite awhile until they are discovered. Larry Conn went missing in the Taboose Pass area last October, and his remains weren't found until this June, IIRC, and he wasn't even climbing.

The following user would like to thank artrock23 for this post
clmbr

obsidian

by obsidian » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Sorry guys,...
Didn't mean to be annoying. It's just that the information we read about the case is kind of vague.
...And, yes,...his remains could be out there and not be found until the spring.
But,...I don't naturally assume that he's deceased, just because he seems to be missing.
...I visited the official Facebook page: Find Matt Green for information.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:47 pm

I was trying to avoid negative vibes... but having been involved in searches for "missing" persons, I think we have to emphasize that we've gone from a rescue to a probable remains recovery. Unless the fellow decided to change identities and head to Mexico, or is out in wilds living off roots and berries, he is probably deceased. I've been involved in searches where the relatives refused to give up hope, and their belief and insistence strongly affected the search pattern, sending us on wild goose chases.

Near here, in Red Rock CNCA (west of Las Vegas), we have had people disappear for years, near (within meters of) popular climbing/scrambling routes. They fall into the spaces between tall boulders, they fall into the scrub oak-manzanita growth... and they effectively vanish until someone finds a leg bone or notices an unusual odor. I really, really don't mean to be crass, but right now closure is probably the best we can get.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Bob Sihler

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I was trying to avoid negative vibes... but having been involved in searches for "missing" persons, I think we have to emphasize that we've gone from a rescue to a probable remains recovery. Unless the fellow decided to change identities and head to Mexico, or is out in wilds living off roots and berries, he is probably deceased. I've been involved in searches where the relatives refused to give up hope, and their belief and insistence strongly affected the search pattern, sending us on wild goose chases.

Near here, in Red Rock CNCA (west of Las Vegas), we have had people disappear for years, near (within meters of) popular climbing/scrambling routes. They fall into the spaces between tall boulders, they fall into the scrub oak-manzanita growth... and they effectively vanish until someone finds a leg bone or notices an unusual odor. I really, really don't mean to be crass, but right now closure is probably the best we can get.

I completely agree with you but as long as the “did you see the body?” question cannot be answered, many people, especially close relatives and friends, chose to live in hope and denial and can’t be blamed for that. Also “miracles” happen sometimes.

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Bump. Any update on the this man's disappearance? In addition to no new news here in 2 and a half months, a link to facebook looks like this case is still unresolved. It would be nice to bring closure in some way to the family. Prayers to his family and friends. Is there anything we can learn from this situation? If it is not possible to alert family/friend on our days itinerary, at least leave note in your car (but he was having car repaired) on the day's plans, fill out a trailhead information permit, hike/climb in pairs, daily update plans on laptop or tablet, etc. By the way, I have broken all of these just stated rules. Bottomline, if we take no action to indicate daily plans we slowdown or make nearly impossible timely rescue/recovery efforts by family or SAR folks . If any of us start hike/climb leaving our car, it would take less then 10 seconds to write down the day's destination target on a piece of paper and leave on the front seat of your car.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 pm

ScottHanson wrote:it would take less then 10 seconds to write down the day's destination target on a piece of paper and leave on the front seat of your car.

Actually that is a pretty good idea... one that never occurred to me. And it would certainly go a long way in a situation like this. Like you I have also broken all the so-called itenerary rules... sometimes on purpose and sometimes forgetfulness. But can't see how jotting something down and leaving in the car could negatively affect the solitude experience.

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 am

Bump! Still curious on the status of this missing climber? Friends back home? Local SAR team?

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks T for the facebook reference. So looks like updates are infrequent but more current on facebook than here at Summitpost. I hope there will be renewed search efforts as we move into spring and summer months of 2014 that ultimately bring closure to this family. It would be helpful if search organizers could summarize areas searched to date in the Minarets-Ritter-Banner area. And list potential areas of interest volunteers may search in 2014. Organization is paramount, otherwise we go around in circles. If search organizers seek volunteers to help with 2014 search efforts I would be willing to help for a few days in August as I likely would be in the area for Sierra Challenge activities any way.

It seems at least some of these disappearance puzzles ultimately become solved. Here I am thinking of down airplanes (Steve Fossett), missing park rangers (Randy Morgenson), etc, etc.

Hold out hope, it's all we got.

Scott

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:07 am

Hey. Great to see a facebook update on findMattGreene. Best wishes to the family as they resume the search for Matt later in 2014. It would be fantastic if some of the local Mammoth climbers got involved. All the best. I am sending positive energy your way.
Scott

peninsula

by peninsula » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Already alluded to was a similar incident in the 1930's. Missing in the Minarets is a well researched book detailing the incident. It might take the likes of a modern day Norman Clyde to find Matt if he can be found at all. One possibility is a bergschrund type of crevasse, which is where many had concluded Peter Starr might have met his demise. Norman Clyde knew better as it turned out.
http://www.amazon.com/Missing-Minarets- ... 1930238185

Previous

Return to California