Mont blanc in 2 days (august - september)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
icypeak

by icypeak » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Luciano136 wrote:
icypeak wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:
icypeak wrote:Well, I guess anything is possible, but I sure remember plenty of green faced guys with their heads between their knees at the Gouter Hut from not acclimatizing properly. :mrgreen:

Hey, I see you've done Rainier. How does it compare to Mt. Blanc difficulty wise?

Rainier was for sure easier for me as it was really just a "walk" up (mind you a long one that cost me a toenail!) whereas Mt Blanc has a few quite exposed rock and snow ridges. But, both fantastic climbs!

Do you need to be roped up on the standard route on Mt. Blanc? It seems that it's mostly a 35 degree snow climb with some rock? Doesn't sound too bad.

No, it's not too bad but I would not do it not roped up. As we approached the top the wind picked up out of nowhere and I almost lost my balance on the ridge..better safe than sorry I think! Almost all the other climbers I saw were roped, but of course many do it solo with no issues. Me, I'm just a bit of a chicken.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:
JScoles wrote: If you screw up or have an accident on Mt Blanc you better have lots of cash or very good insurance.

On the french side of Mont Blanc, all rescue actions are free. With or without insurance. This is a real problem...

Is that true if you aren't French :?:

Gendarmerie, Protection Civile and CRS are public services, therefore free on the french territories. Rescue on french Mont Blanc side could be operated by the italian helicopter, in that case you do not have to pay only if you are victim of an accident. On the swiss side you pay for any reason. Normally any kind of insurnace included in the alpineclub membership cover that kind of expenses.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:09 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:But whatever ... Can it be done in 2 days with no probs and if you aren't sick and haven't got summitfever (much more dangerous than swine flu!)

Do what you want sjarelkwint, I've given my recommendation but you seem don't to want to listen. Mont Blanc also can be done in 5-6 hours...

Concerning insurance companies and copters, I don't trust on them. Our federation covers rescues in The Alps only if you pay a lot (131€ + club's fee).

Sources:

http://www.chamonet.com/whats_new_artic ... &id_back=1

http://www.fmm.es/

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Where did you find the idea of Mont Blanc in two days :?: Gaston Rébuffat's The Mont Blanc Massif: The 100 Finest Routes book :?: Think that he was so a strong climber...
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Anyway, everything is possible but you'll acclimate better if you climb slow as I said before. Two nights on the mountain before reaching the summit is so advisable

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Stef, like many said before. Is it possible: yes. Are your chances for success low: I think so.

If you don't get sick, the weather will be the main variable. On a high peak like that, it can change in a matter of hours. If you have flexibility in your days, you can wait it out. If you don't, you know your trip is over. Even if the weather forecast looks good the day before you drive off, it's still not a guarantee.

My take on it. If I have two days, I would choose a peak that can be done in one day. Then you at least have some flexibility.

Previous

Return to Europe