Most difficult scrambles out East

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
kakakiw

by kakakiw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:08 pm

rasgoat wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:Often "off-trail" in the NE means: extremely thick brush. In the old days, when the ADK 46ers were really trailless, many slide routes were chosen simply because they avoided brush (until one exited, where krumholtz got fierce).

Very good point, there usually is a bushwack involved.

We like suffering out here.It toughens us. I mean what misery can compare to walking through dense brush, while swatting bugs and humidity. We give blood for a view.
:D

James_W

by James_W » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:15 pm

kakakiw wrote:
rasgoat wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:Often "off-trail" in the NE means: extremely thick brush. In the old days, when the ADK 46ers were really trailless, many slide routes were chosen simply because they avoided brush (until one exited, where krumholtz got fierce).

Very good point, there usually is a bushwack involved.

We like suffering out here.It toughens us. I mean what misery can compare to walking through dense brush, while swatting bugs and humidity. We give blood for a view.
:D

I find the suffering factor much higher in BC.

James_W

by James_W » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am

KristoriaBlack wrote:James, what specifically are you referring to that makes the bushwacks out West more difficult? I want to prepare myself mentally. At some point I'm going to be sent off to a conference out West. (All my best climbing is funded by scholarships and travel awards to conferences!) I'll message you and we'll go scrambling. Off trail. Hard core. Crazy Canuck style. Just don't expect it to be anytime soon...our funding in the short term is up in the air to put it diplomatically.

You have to bushwack up 4,000 or more feet just to reach the alpine. During this bushwack you have the standard ADK fair plus some devils club to make things terrible. Fred Beckey once got in terrain so hard on a project in northern Washington (similar terrain) that he was only capable or progressing a mile a day. When you bushwack here in the Selkirk and Monashee mountains the possibility of a grizzly counter never leaves your thoughts. I live in the worlds only inland temperate rainforest (banana slugs and all) and sometimes it is impossible to see very far in the darkness of the forest.

James_W

by James_W » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:21 am

KristoriaBlack wrote:Its all a matter of being able to see what's in front of you. Ontario, especially the North has a lot of rock too. Bruce Peninsula is a good call. This has been a transformative experience for me. I'm beginning to see the world, especially Toronto with a new set of eyes.

I was born and raised in Kingston, ON. Northern terrain around sleeping giant is packed with nice cliffs. Have you been to Sudbury? there are scrambles all over town, some hundreds of feet high. A good intro to rock climbing would be Birthday Ridge I 5.1 (2 pitches) on Mazinaw Rock in Bon Echo, you could find someone to do it with or try and lead or solo it.

James_W

by James_W » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:02 am

Here are some off highway views in the area

(the last one is from Revelstoke)

EastcoastMike

by EastcoastMike » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:01 am

I think ADK slides are just what you're looking for...

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)