Mount Washington Winter Attempt?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Biscut

Re: Mount Washington Winter Attempt?

by Biscut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Keep at the training brotha! IMHO white out on the Alipne Garden and above is time to turn around and head back. I'm in a unique spot...I leave my house in NY around 330AM and drive 5-6hrs to the mountain. Climb/hike for however long, hit Woodstock Brewery and head home. From the early hours headed there I've learned NOT to expect the current weather conditions to last. Often times I'm a little down when I get there and its freezing rain or socked in with fog. Many a time trudge thru it and the reward of a nice summit is to be found!

So don't be afraid to pick a day and give it a good try even if the weatehrs seems crummy. And if you can't summit it's still rewaridng to make it to lunch rocks in Tucks and just absorb the ravine for a bit.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

bird

by bird » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Check out www.mtnathlete.com for insight on training.
And my favorite article on training... http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/eve ... e-20120504
Lion's head in winter is fun, and if the weather is decent, should be no problem. Leave early, rest, drink, eat and move at a steady pace and you should be fine. Plenty of other good advice on this and other boards.

atomiccows1

by atomiccows1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

We had a great summit! Beautiful weather, temps hovering in the negative single digits, winds around 25 to 30 mph, and clear sunny skies. Everything I could have hoped for and more.
Thank you everyone for your input.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

^^^Congrats, glad you had a good trip!

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)