Mt Adams info needed

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
climbnutt

Mt Adams info needed

by climbnutt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Hello all, will be going up to the white's oct 23rd and interested in hiking Mt Adams. Have done Washington about 12 times, Jefferson once but never Adams. Will be parking at the appalachia trailhead spot. Any suggestions on which trail to take? Any details would be appreciated, thank you!

nartreb

Re: Mt Adams info needed

by nartreb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 pm

There are lots of good choices. Make sure you have a good map. Many maps aren't 100% reliable since there are so many trails in that area and they have almost all been rerouted a few times. Most maps have the main routes more or less right, just watch out for little cross trails that may not be where the map has them. The USGS topo map is a lot better than nothing, the USFS topo map (available online e.g. on Caltopo.org) is pretty decent, the AMC map ("Presidential Range", reverse side: "Northern Presidentials") is very good, the RMC map is best.

For maximum scenery and a solid challenge, in very good weather I suggest going straight up the King Ravine headwall: Short Line to King Ravine trail (or, for extra challenge, the Great Gully trail). Plan to spend extra time enjoying the "subway" variation under the floor of king ravine. Descend via Air Line so you can look down into the ravine and appreciate the headwall you climbed. Also visit a couple of waterfalls at the bottom of Snyder Brook that are worth the very short detour.

If the headwall is not in the cards due to conditions or (lack of) fitness, go up Air Line.

Should you need to retreat from the summit in a hurry, Valley Way is usually the fastest and safest way to get out of the wind.

Lots of other loops work fine. For instance, go up one of the trails mentioned above, then explore the above-treeline area to Grey Knob, and come down Hincks Trail to Randolph Path. I would avoid the headwall (King Ravine Trail, Chemin des Dames, Great Gully) in bad weather or for descent, otherwise feel free to improvise.

no avatar
climbnutt

by climbnutt » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 am

Great info, just what I was looking for. I did consider Kings ravine but will have to make it a last minute call depending on weather conditions. Aside from that maybe I'll head up Air line. I do have a map but it's way outdated. Came with the amc guide to Mt washington & the presidentials, purchased about 20 years ago! May get an updated one once I get up to N. Conway area. Thanks for all the great info!

no avatar
SimonM

by SimonM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:48 am

You have to do king ravine and the subway.

Here the gps of my hike: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Some picture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonmass ... 8466279401

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)