Mt Elbrus Equipment Hire

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Swedish-guy

Mt Elbrus Equipment Hire

by Swedish-guy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Hello everyone, I am a 20 year old guy who feels ready to take the big leap from regular trekking to actual mountaineering. I have my eyes set on Mt Elbrus and am planning to go with either Pilgrim or Adventure Alternative (both are cheap and seem alright). The thing is that buying proper equipment for the climb is far from cheap and I am therefore thinking about renting equipment there for the climb. So does anyone of you wonderful people think that renting equipment in Elbrus is a smart / dumb move or if it is better to bite the bullet and buy some proper equipment?

Thanks in advance :D
Martin

Tonka

Re: Mt Elbrus Equipment Hire

by Tonka » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Pilgrim or Adventure Alternative (both are cheap and seem alright).

Not exactly the criteria to use when vetting a guide.

I would say that renting is the way to go until you know what you like and don't like. There are many different things you can do in the mountains and all of them require different equipment. Spend your money on your basic personal gear like layers, socks, gloves/mittens, hats and rain gear. The stuff you need to just get out. This is stuff you will always use and than just add as you define your likes.

no avatar
mwslo93

by mwslo93 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Here is the link to pilgrim tours price listing for rental shops in town. I would rent most equipment until you know you like it. Exception being boots perhaps. It would be a bummer to pay all the money for the guide and travel down there, only to have your feet wrecked by rental boots. But if your really unsure about weather you want to pursue mountaineering further, then you can take your chances with rental boots.

http://www.pilgrim-tours.com/forum/phpB ... .php?t=257

BTW Im climbing Elbrus this year with pilgrim on the aug 24-sept 2 tour. coincidentally, i'm stopping over in stockholm for 5 days to visit friends before flying to Russia. Let me know if your still interested in going. Also if you have any questions about Elbrus related stuff, just email Pilgrim tours they have been really good at answering my questions.

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 am

I went to Elbrus with Pilgrim last year. I'd highly recommend them. A lot of Western firms subcontract Pilgrim on the mountain for everything except a lead guide(hotels/hut, logistics, food, assistant guides), so there is a decent chance that you would be going with Pilgrim even if you signed up with another outfit. I didn't use rental gear but some of my friends did. The equipment like ice axe, crampons and harness you could rent. It's cheap and good quality stuff. I think the rental boots they had were Koflachs and Scarpa Invernos. Generally well worn. I'd use my own boots but you could use the rentals. Where I would not use rental is down jackets and gloves, and all clothes. One person on the group needed a jacket and we had to go get it from another outfitter. Not sure if that is standard though.

Return to Gear