My book on climbing and hiking photography just published!

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
nattfodd

My book on climbing and hiking photography just published!

by nattfodd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm

As some of you may know, I have been working for the past year and a half on a book on mountain photography. Titled Remote Exposure, it covers both the technical and the creative sides of taking photographs while climbing and hiking.

Yesterday saw its official release and it is now available in bookstores as well as on Amazon (in the US, the UK and the rest of Europe will have to wait a little bit more).

You can see a fair bit of it on the Amazon preview, but here are some teaser images:

I'd be happy to answer any questions about it or its content, and would love to hear back from anybody here who actually acquired it.

The following user would like to thank nattfodd for this post
Hotoven, Josh Lewis, moonspots, WingLady

Smoove910

Re: My book on climbing and hiking photography just publishe

by Smoove910 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Looks like my type of book. I'll have to snag it up in the next couple days. Thanks for the heads-up!

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks Snoove910, I am very glad to hear that. Let me know how you like it!

WingLady

by WingLady » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:03 am

Looks like a great book -- congratulations!

Curious thing, though. When I posted information about my husband's new autobiography which includes mountaineering adventures spanning over 35 years, the posting was deleted and I was accused of spamming this site. Oddly, the main problem they pointed out was that it was "meticulously done" (as opposed to "laughably pathetic" which seemed to be acceptable).

I honestly hope the powers that be do NOT decide to delete your post because it is "self-promoting". It is ON TOPIC, in my opinion, and provided information of interest to a number of forum participants.
D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
Highpoint Adventures
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park

The following user would like to thank WingLady for this post
Marmaduke

tonyo

by tonyo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. (that one-click ordering on Amazon is just too easy)

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:51 pm

WingLady wrote:Looks like a great book -- congratulations!

Curious thing, though. When I posted information about my husband's new autobiography which includes mountaineering adventures spanning over 35 years, the posting was deleted and I was accused of spamming this site. Oddly, the main problem they pointed out was that it was "meticulously done" (as opposed to "laughably pathetic" which seemed to be acceptable).

I honestly hope the powers that be do NOT decide to delete your post because it is "self-promoting". It is ON TOPIC, in my opinion, and provided information of interest to a number of forum participants.

I for one am glad to hear of members' books -- flathead native's, nattfodd's, and winger's. Those interested in Winger's book, Two Shadows, can find it on Amazon.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

The following user would like to thank Arthur Digbee for this post
WingLady

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:06 pm

WingLady wrote:Looks like a great book -- congratulations!

Sorry to hear this happened with your husband's book. I actually didn't think that this could be considered spamming, since I believe the subject of the book is as close to topic as is possible. You should probably ask one of the Elves to get your topic back!

Thanks everybody for the support. It seems the book is doing quite well already, even though no real reviews have reached me yet. If anybody here bought it, I would love to hear what you think of it!

The following user would like to thank nattfodd for this post
WingLady

no avatar
sopwith21

by sopwith21 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 pm

When they start deleting posts on mountaineering/outdoor books, they forgot why they're here. Who cares if it is self-promoting? It's still a mountaineering book.

Re: the original topic - congratulations on getting your book published! Many people work for a lifetime to achieve that. Way to go! Looks awesome! :)

The following user would like to thank sopwith21 for this post
WingLady

WingLady

by WingLady » Wed May 11, 2011 3:20 pm

sopwith21 wrote:When they start deleting posts on mountaineering/outdoor books, they forgot why they're here. Who cares if it is self-promoting? It's still a mountaineering book.

Re: the original topic - congratulations on getting your book published! Many people work for a lifetime to achieve that. Way to go! Looks awesome! :)

Thanks for the support. I've re-posted the information about Charlie's autobiography - hopefully, they won't delete it again:

memoir-filled-with-stories-from-35-years-of-mountaineering-t58452.html
D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
Highpoint Adventures

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu May 12, 2011 3:08 am

I agree it seems odd to allow one self-promotion and not another, but that is up to the mods.

Personally, I think a one-off 'hey I just wrote a book, check it out' from a long-time SP poster with a history of useful contributions is fine.

Nattfodd - as much as I admire your photography, personally such a post is borderline for me, but feels OK. No big deal.

D Winger - your signature tag-line thing which is on every post is a constant ad-in-the-face. I think it's tacky and I don't like it, from any poster, so for me personally that pushed your self-promoting post over some imaginary line into 'no'. And now you're complaining about it, which shoves it further along to 'no way.'

I also had a book come out in the last six months. I simply chose not to push it in the face of this community. I see this site as informational, not commercial.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
Deb

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu May 12, 2011 7:00 am

I think I am going to write a book about SPers that write a book then advertise it over on ST.

That would go down just dandy.

Guide and Climbing Books are a dime a dozen these days.

BTW, WingLady, according to your Profile, you haven't contributed jacksquat to SP the entire seven years you have been here, except constantly advertising your books. WTF is up with that???

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Buz Groshong

WingLady

by WingLady » Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm

The Chief wrote:Guide and Climbing Books are a dime a dozen these days.

BTW, WingLady, according to your Profile, you haven't contributed jacksquat to SP the entire seven years you have been here, except constantly advertising your books. WTF is up with that???

Dear Chief,
Thank you so much for removing my post about Charlie's book -- again.

You got me wondering -- I went back through the 175 posts I've made on this Forum, and you're right! During the 7 years I've been here, I have posted something about our books a whopping 5 times!!!! WTF?

You seem to have issues with people writing books related to mountaineering. Why is that? We wrote our guidebooks out of a love for the areas we wrote about, and Charlie wrote a very personal & inspiring book about a long mountaineering career. We make diddly-squat from the sales of these books. Some people seem to really enjoy them.

Chief, I realize that this site is extremely important to you, and you obviously devote a huge amount of time to it. I view it as another interesting place to participate in a Forum. However, with the uneven and arbitrary administration of this Forum, I believe it's time for me to spend that leisure time elsewhere.

-- Diane
D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
Highpoint Adventures

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu May 12, 2011 2:52 pm

WingLady wrote:
The Chief wrote:Guide and Climbing Books are a dime a dozen these days.

Dear Chief,

You got me wondering -- I went back through the 175 posts I've made on this Forum, and you're right! During the 7 years I've been here, I have posted something about our books a whopping 5 times!!!! WTF?

You seem to have issues with people writing books related to mountaineering. Why is that? We wrote our guidebooks out of a love for the areas we wrote about, and Charlie wrote a very personal & inspiring book about a long mountaineering career. We make diddly-squat from the sales of these books. Some people seem to really enjoy them.

Chief, I realize that this site is extremely important to you, and you obviously devote a huge amount of time to it. I view it as another interesting place to participate in a Forum. However, with the uneven and arbitrary administration of this Forum, I believe it's time for me to spend that leisure time elsewhere.

-- Diane

Yes, but have you contributed any content? After all, this site isn't really just about the forums.

Oh, and allowing members to post commercial advertising may have legal implications for the site's owners, so quit acting like there's some sort of conspiracy going on.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu May 12, 2011 3:54 pm

WingLady wrote:Dear Chief,

-- Diane

I have issues with people being sneaking about and breaking the rules of any establishment for personal gain.

SP strictly forbids any Commercial Advertisement of any sorts, period.

Damien and I have had our differences, big time. But, I highly respect the fact that he has never mentioned nor advertised in any fashion, his incredibly well written and personally researched book (that by the way is far more in depth and well written than any of yours imo and should be in every climbers library) nor has he ever advertised any of his climbing associated business dealings here on SP. Never.

As it should be.

BTW, the ONLY meat you have on your profile, is info about and direct link to your book site.

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 am

Nattfodd: Great to hear about your book. Best of luck with it.

WingLady: Always nice to be alerted to your offerings as well.

Damien: If you'd rather not post about your book, that's your decision. I'd like to hear about it via PM at least anyway.

IMHO, "content" is in the eye of the reader. I'm happy to have any opportunity to make my own judgement about any book, product referral, opinion, etc. regardless of the source as long as it's legit.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

The following user would like to thank adventurer for this post
Marmaduke, Rob

Next

Return to News