nevado de toluca,MEXICO

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
youngclimer123

nevado de toluca,MEXICO

by youngclimer123 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 am

hey has anyone climbed nevado de toluca near toluca in mexico?because i was planning a trip there and didnt know what to take or what kind of aclimatization is needed.it is a 15,000 foot volcano that i really want to climb so if you can help please do :) :D

phydeux

Re: nevado de toluca,MEXICO

by phydeux » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Post your request in the 'Mexico, Central America, and Carribean' forum father down the Forums list and you'll probably get a better response. FWIW: The climbing season is in the winter down there - its Central Mexico, and has tropical storms blanketing the area all through the summer. Also - Popo (closed to climbing) and Izta are not that far from Mexico City either.

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
youngclimer123

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:47 pm

ncst

by ncst » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I went there from Toluca as a day hike. The town Toluca is already at about 9000 ft, from the highway a long road goes up to a parking lot. Then the trails leads to two lakes, then along the rim to the summit. It is basically a day hike. I wouldnt worry to much about the altitude. In case you do, I believe you can spend the night at the building next to the parking lot, you just need to bring a sleeping bag. Hope this helps!

The following user would like to thank ncst for this post
youngclimer123

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:01 pm

thanks! :D

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I was up there yesterday. Road is passable by any 2wd. Fun rocky scramble, then over the top and down the scree. Easy little day hike with some fun scrambling. It looked to me as though a traverse around the rest of the ridge would be possible. I did a race there the previous day that went up to the start of the rocky section, then down the scree slope below it and back to the Albergue Alpino.

On a side note, tried to go up to Izta today but the road is closed due to activity on Popo. Probably off to Orizaba mañana.

JimS

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:56 am

wow cool thanks!! :D the articles ive read havent been very helpful about the trail.is there a trail or do you just go straight up the talus scree stuff? :?

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:43 am

Good trail up to the rocky summit section, then a cairn markedroute to the true summit, mostly on the outer side from the crater, moving to the inside later. There{s also a switch back-y trail of sorts up the scree slope to the right of the summit (looking from the inside of the crater). That would be a workout from the Laguna del Sol!

easiest route is up to the edge otf the crater, sdown the trail to your left, pass Luna on the right, (it will be so obvious) til you see the trail traversing up the side of the ridge.

The following user would like to thank mtnjim for this post
youngclimer123

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean