It is currently Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:08 am

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Mountain Page Vote/You Haven't Hiked Yet

I have only voted on a Mountain/Rock Page or a Route Page on a few occasions when I haven't actually been there yet. Seems that to have a real vote, you should have climbed the peak or used the route first. Your thoughts?
Read more : Mountain Page Vote/You Haven't Hiked Yet | Views : 2472 | Replies : 32

top 10 of the moste dangerous mountain

Here is the top 10 most beautiful and dangerous mountain in the world :D if you are interested you will find a short description about every mountain and why they are on this top (click on mountain name if you want to read the article).

#10 Mount Fuji, Japan

#9 Mount McKinley, Alaska, S.U.A

#8 Mount Charro Chalten, Patagonia

#7 Mount Matterhorn, Italy

#6 Mount Washington, ...
Read more : top 10 of the moste dangerous mountain | Views : 11681 | Replies : 111

That Sinking Feeling

The three of us crouched in the howling wind. Higher, at the summit, it hadn't been this bad. At first it was almost 'nice.' But clouds converged and bing bang boom, we were caught on the col in a white out.

So we crouched down in a low circle and passed around the Decision Pipe, getting ready to Ski the Fantastic.

We all stood up, Angus and I stepped in one direction, Burl in exactly ...
Read more : That Sinking Feeling | Views : 2619 | Replies : 18

White Mountain Exercise Study

I'm a medical student working with Dr. Gary Foster at the Loma Linda VA Hospital. We are working on a research project that is looking at the effect of a novel preconditioning treatment on exercise performance at altitude. We are looking for participants to run (complete as quickly as possible) a 7.5 mile trail to the peak of White Mountain (14,252ft). Two trips to the mountain will be required and transportation will be provided. Any ...
Read more : White Mountain Exercise Study | Views : 546 | Replies : 0

Win a week at Tetons Climbers' Ranch

Friends of the Grand Teton Climbers’ Ranch announces two contests, for the best 250 word or longer essay and for the best 25 or more photos concerning the Climbers’ Ranch and/or the Tetons. Prize in each, one free week at the Ranch, 2011. Information at the website,
Read more : Win a week at Tetons Climbers' Ranch | Views : 416 | Replies : 0

Acclimatization Question

I know everyone adjusts differently to altitude, but am curious about the following. Our group has a pass for an overnight hike up the Whitney Main Trail in August, and a few of us plan to hike and camp at altitude ahead of time to acclimatize and hopefully make the Whitney hike more enjoyable. Question: if we spend two-three days in the Sierra, then go down to Lone Pine for a shower and night in ...
Read more : Acclimatization Question | Views : 1050 | Replies : 5

Suggestion for a route starting at the Torino Hut

3 of us will be climbing the North Face of the Tour Ronde, but we will stay for a couple of nighs at the Torino hut, and for the second day we would like to do something shorter because one of us needs to leave early in the afternoon.

Any suggestion for a route in that area in the D, TD range?

Read more : Suggestion for a route starting at the Torino Hut | Views : 1076 | Replies : 6 income estimate

Plenty of rumours about this going on in the past. I just found a way to more the less calculate this. Might be interesting.

Summitpost is currently the 51,752 biggest website in the world. The domain receives about 7,604 unique visitors and 43,343 (5.7 per visitor) page views per day. Based on this information, you can estimate that it earns about $23 USD per day and gives the site an overall value of $16,653 USD.
Read more : income estimate | Views : 9752 | Replies : 73

Insurance costs for mountain guides

Hello all,

I trying to find a ballpark figure for insuring a mountain guide up to 10 million swiss francs (legal minimum for IFMGA guides). If there are any IFMGA climbing guides on here, I would appreciate the information! I am dawing up a business plan for my college class, and insurance costs are a big part of the plan.

Read more : Insurance costs for mountain guides | Views : 1774 | Replies : 3

My Spot Open! IMG Rainier Glacier Skills Seminar July 11-17

My spot on this IMG seminar is now open. I just got a stress fracture in my heel while training for Mt. Rainier and now I'm out of my climb next month. It's IMG, Glacier Skills Seminar, July 11-17, Mt. Rainier. There's a summit attempt, but much more. Like it says, you're out there for 6 days learning glacier skills.
If you wanted to climb Mt. Rainier this summer but you missed out on the ...
Read more : My Spot Open! IMG Rainier Glacier Skills Seminar July 11-17 | Views : 1043 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Total posts 541427 • Total topics 33155 • Total members 108598