It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

lingering stiff elbow lingering stiff elbow

Hello all:

I suffered a bad fall about 10 months ago and fractured my humerus badly. I had surgery where a plate was installed along with 8 screws. The fracture healed in about 12 weeks, but, I came out with a very stiff elbow and lingering fluid/inflammation in the elbow and the arm. My surgeon told me my elbow wasn't injured in the fall, just the humerus. The stiffness and fluid/inflammation has improved somewhat through ...
Read more : lingering stiff elbow | Views : 5105 | Replies : 3

Are Altitude/Hypoxic chambers unsafe?

There is much literature on permanent brain damage from high elevation -- and particularly, changes in elevation that are too rapid (i.e. not gently/properly acclimatized).

I've been considering a hypoxic chamber, for a several week use before a higher elevation climb (6000m).

However, isn't nightly sleeping in such a chamber equal to the sudden elevation change it's trying to prevent, even if gradually building up to say 3000m oxygen level?
Each morning it's a sudden ...
Read more : Are Altitude/Hypoxic chambers unsafe? | Views : 13975 | Replies : 19

High mountain

Hi,

I'm not a new hiker, I did all the good hike in the est of America (I have to do mount Iberville one of these days), then I made a lot of hike in Scotland and some in Corsica. But I live in Montreal. Everything here is lower than 2000 meters ... It's now boring ... It's fun to do them, but I need more challenge.

In September, I made a three week trip in the ...
Read more : High mountain | Views : 5611 | Replies : 3

NOOB Introduction and Getting into Mountaineering Questions

Hey All,

So I'm a 27 year old mechanical engineer living in New Orleans, LA and wanting to get into mountaineering. I've got very limited experience with climbing...due to obvious geographic limitations, but something about getting into the mountains has always appealed to me. Basically, I get into the closest climbing gym on occasion and have been sport climbing in Northern Alabama once many years ago. I thoroughly enjoy backpacking, camping, hiking etc.

Ultimately I ...
Read more : NOOB Introduction and Getting into Mountaineering Questions | Views : 7843 | Replies : 8

Books beyond Freedom of the Hills

Got any recommendations of some good books that goes in depth of mountaineering/mix climbing/ice climbing beyond whats covered in FOTH?

I'll be glad to hear about them
Read more : Books beyond Freedom of the Hills | Views : 7395 | Replies : 8

acclimatisation & Mont Blanc

Any ideas what I did wrong here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euFhmLI ... e=youtu.be

The above vid shows my 2nd and 3rd days of acclimatisation for an ambitious late season attempt on Mont Blanc on days 6 & 7 of the week. On day 1 I simply spent the entire day in the Aguille du Midi complex after taking the first car up and the last one down. I did a bit of ...
Read more : acclimatisation & Mont Blanc | Views : 9699 | Replies : 7

book recommendation for day hiking?

I kind of just decided that I would try to have my dog reach all of NHs 4,000 foot peaks, likely all by day hikes. She's done 6 of them. Last year I did a few before I had her. I haven't had any problems yet, but I feel very inefficient and clueless. I'm not real sure how to make best use of my poles, what the best way to hydrate is, how to minimize ...
Read more : book recommendation for day hiking? | Views : 5469 | Replies : 3

Let's just say... Let's just say...

I have a small (6 inch ish diameter)tree, a 5 foot long segment of rope, and 2 carabiners. How would I make a rappel anchor?
Read more : Let's just say... | Views : 6145 | Replies : 4

Treating Dry, Sun Damaged Skin

Ok folks, time for a slow stroll down the metro road..

After years of outdoor abuse and neglect, I'm currently treating dry, sun-damaged skin on my arms and legs.
I've been using this homemade remedy I've worked up for several months and it seems to work very well.

A mix of:
Raw Shea Butter
http://www.amazon.com/Pack-African-Shea ... B00AU9VX3Y
http://shop.racosmetics.com/100-Pure-Sh ... z-0148.htm

and
Heritage Store ...
Read more : Treating Dry, Sun Damaged Skin | Views : 5700 | Replies : 5

Training and Nutrition Guide for Mt. Whitney Training and Nutrition Guide for Mt. Whitney

I've summited Mt. Whitney four times. Each summit was under 6 hours. Below is my comprehensive training and nutrition guide specifically tailored for Mt. Whitney. Please let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

http://alpinesierra.blogspot.com/

Best,

AC
Read more : Training and Nutrition Guide for Mt. Whitney | Views : 13432 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557934 • Total topics 55835 • Total members 136369