NOCAL Coastal Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ExploretheWorld

NOCAL Coastal Conditions

by ExploretheWorld » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:00 am

Cheers,

I am taking a greyhound bus to Arcata, CA tomorrow morning to hoof it around the coast for a while before next semester. I thought I would check in with the local report before I leave. I am planning on some costal hiking, with brief forays into Redwoods Nat'l Park, Trinidad/College Cove, The Lost Coast/King's Range, Shelter Cove. Looking to do some road walking too, from town to town if that's feasible (as the area is not too well roaded). Any reports on current conditions and or if you'd like you can PM me with any sweet places to check out.

Cheers,

Nick B.

OOG

by OOG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 am

If you're into long distance hiking check out the coastal trail through redwood national park. It pretty much parallels 101 with lots of quick road links, but still has a remote feel overall. The section over flint ridge in particular does a good job demonstrating the best of what the park has to offer. If your really adventurous walk out on the Klamath river sandpit and watch the 40 foot swells break over the beach, that will be an experience you'll never forget.

As for weather it will rain... a lot, so far it hasn't let up for more than a day or so since December began but don't let that deter you, just bring a poncho, its not really not that bad in fact it kind of adds a kind of creepy other worldly feeling to the area.

I live in Crescent City and I can tell you first hand there is nothing worth visiting in town. Eureka isn't much better. You'd be a fool if you spent any portion of this trip waiting out the rain in a brewery or museum.

Return to California