Non-climbers are weak. Do not speak to them, ignore them all

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
kevin trieu

Re: Non-climbers are weak. Do not speak to them, ignore them

by kevin trieu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:43 pm

At the end of the day, you climbed a rock. You didn't help the elders cross the street, fed the homeless or cured cancer. Climbing a rock did nothing for the betterment of society. You climbed a goddamned fucking rock.

I admire little 12-year old Johnny that went to the Ronald McDonald house and read books to a cancer patient more than some assholes that just sent a 5.14.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
CClaude, JasonH, Princess Buttercup

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Fletch wrote:Fatdad, I assume you're fat.

Who you calling fat? Just kidding. I'm certainly heavier than I used to be. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 148 or so, compared to the 130 lbs. I weighed before kids, marriage and work took their toll. I think I picked the moniker fatdad in a bout of self pity if I remember correctly. So there you go.

Also, I think I need to disagree about the statement that climbing wasn't harder back then. Sure people are climbing bigger numbers now and some climbers are also doing heady stuff, but apart from those examples, on the average I believe climbing was harder. It wasn't just a combination of technical difficulty but also the mental difficulty of the less sophisticated gear and fewer bolts.

Example: back in the day before the Tuolumne guidebook, you'd take either the Roper High Sierra guide or an old xerox of a Mountain mag article, walk around with a monocular and try to find the climbs since the bolts were so far apart and high off the ground. Most people nowadays simply would not climb under those conditions. The message boards are full of calls for adding additional bolts to existing routes (even to crack lines) in order to make them safer for "everybody." BITD, that just didn't happen. You sacked up or walked away. Doesn't that mean that everyone nowadays is light? No. But the average climber back then (and I'm only 47 mind you) had the technical and mental fortitude to climb routes of that nature. Now, not so much.
(Edited for grammar)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

kevin trieu wrote: Climbing a rock did nothing for the betterment of society.

And what have you done today or yesterday or the day before, for the "betterment" of society?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP, so why even interject it.

BTW: I have used climbing for the betterment of society. You'd be surprised what it does to the mindset of "gangbanger" who once portrayed themselves as killer of killers and that is all they wanted to do. All until they were introduced to realities of the rope and rock.
Last edited by The Chief on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 pm

kevin trieu wrote:At the end of the day, you climbed a rock. You didn't help the elders cross the street, fed the homeless or cured cancer. Climbing a rock did nothing for the betterment of society. You climbed a goddamned fucking rock.

I know what you meant, but this argument would have a lot more weight if everyone in society worked for its betterment. Being a climber doesn't make you a bad person just because you didn't help someone cross the road on the way to the crag. How many of us actually make the time to help others the way we'd like or should?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I even lost a client to HAPE who was actually participating in a program in which his climb would have raised monies in order to better the lives of many underprivileged kids in his hometown. All for the betterment of society.

So what is the jest of your post Kevin?

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 pm

As a novice climber back in the 1970s, I remember walking up to people like Bridwell in Camp 4 in Yosemite and getting snubbed.

Seemed that, back then, climbers didn't like talking to climbers as much as they didn't like talking to non-climbers.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Last two summers I have helped with (some other local old timer climbers did as well) and actively participated in the local "Wounded Warrior Program" where we used actual rock climbing as a very versatile tool to incorporate self-esteem and emotional redevelopment into the hearts and minds of this Nations greatest unsung heroes.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Fletch wrote:
fatdad wrote:
The Chief wrote:...this Nations greatest unsung heroes

:roll: You must mean single mothers, right Chief?

Negative!

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Chief, while I do consider wounded vets to be hero's. I wouldn't call them unsung hero's.
I have a demon in me - Stu

TimB

by TimB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 pm

The Chief wrote:Negative!

Very, very encouraging to see our wounded vets doing that, Chief!

Good for you for helping, sir.
8)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm

JasonH wrote:I wouldn't call them unsung hero's.

Unfortunately, they feel they are. That is why they are in the WWP. To help them realize that they are remembered and that their incredible sacrifices are indeed appreciated by us all.

You'd also be very surprised to see how many of them old timer "Asshole" climbers that show up to these gigs, to lend a hand and show their appreciation.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 am

Steve is

Just mixing the pot. He believes not one word of his OP.

I posted a thread (many years ago now gone forever) called backpacking vs. Mountaineering that basically stated the reverse of Steve's sentiments. That climbers were getting too caught up in the technical aspect and missing the "Zen" in the hills. All except for The Chief that is! Calm down Rick, calm down. :wink:

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:16 am

If you care about how other climbers (or "climbers") are doing it, then you're doing it wrong. No?

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 am

I first started using SP in 2003, joined in 2005 and posted for the first time in PnP in late 2006. Took over a year until I knew it was there and it was because I too had a thread banished to the dark side.

The rest is history, though not very important history.

Steve, we know you’re a softy, even if you do hate new fangled gear and cloths.

CClaude

by CClaude » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Steve1215 wrote:--

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7gp-aKsbo[/youtube]

---

Thanks..... I haven't had a chance to get a good look at Pasiano Overhang and that looks fun.

The only thing we didn't need is the gratuitous crotch shot of Randy L.

PreviousNext

Return to General