Northeast SP Gathering

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
John Duffield

Re: Northeast SP Gathering

by John Duffield » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm still holding this aside as well, though I haven't scored lodging. Sleeping in the van. What day is the actual ascent?

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi all,

We do not have lodging either, so we're camping.

I've got penciled in hiking on the 19th up Mt.Marcy spilling into Sunday. We'll take anybody who wants to join us. I must warn anyone who wants to come with us that you will need proper equipment/experience.
If you have questions about this, email me.

For those who want to have fun, but not do the hike, Maybe we could just keep it simple and say if anyone wants to meet at the NoonMark Diner for a post hike party/dinner, we'll be at the NoonMark for dinner. It is good food, when your hungry! (good pies and breads). Fair warning, I look like crap after 2 days out hiking/camping. :-)

I will clear this all with "the boss" (aka hubby) to make sure his schedule is still OK. Most likely it is.

Looks like there is plenty of snow!!!!!!

nartreb

by nartreb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:18 pm

I'll need Saturday for driving; if I'm to go to the 'Daks at all, Sunday will be my summit day, then I'll drive home on Monday.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
tigerlilly

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm sorry, I was planning on doing this but I now have plans to be in NH again this weekend. My woman and I along with another couple will be staying at Harvard Cabin and doing some Ice Climbing in Huntington ravine.

I wish I could come with you guys as I would really enjoy meeting you and doing some hiking together, but not this year...
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:01 pm

[quote="tigerlilly"]

We do not have lodging either, so we're camping.

quote]

where are you camping? There are a lot of leantos on the trail into Mt Marcy, at the dam and beyond.
I *may* be in the area, I will not do the Mt marcy hike but would like to meet sp'ers!

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 am

I'm not sure where we are camping yet, it depends on when we arrive. There are tons of places for camping.

If anyone is interested in meeting up, send me an email.
-TL

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:03 am

Just got back. I saw that John Duffield signed the register, but we never crossed paths. Too bad. Had a good hike. Made it to the summit on Saturday (19th) despite a blustery gust or two (woohoo). Hiked in Friday night (to a full moon!) put down a tent around midnight at Marcy Dam. Headed up Saturday morning - windy on top- saw many folks who turned around. We went up and down over the backside, which was smart because it got us out of the wind. Camped back at Marcy Dam. Sunday was gorgeous, brilliant blue sky & no wind. Got a well deserved dinner at Lake Placid. :-) We experimented with a wisper light stove, which turned out not to work too well in extreme cold temps. The hike is easy, the path is well trodden. It is just a bit of a death march at the end, due to the sheer length of time your walking. :-) Didn't need crampons at the top, made it over fine with MSR's. Wore 3 layers of Long underwear, a Marmot wind breaker, a down jacket and a Marmot winter jacket. Face mask, neck warmer, goggles. Was warm & toasty. My better half got some frostbite on his cheek where the face mask missed covering his skin. woops! -TL

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:06 am

correction: it was a MSR pocket rocket stove that failed us, not the wisper light.

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Sheeeet- I skied into Avalanche Lake Saturday, sorry I missed you. I stopped at a couple leantos, talked to some folks but obviously not you. I did see a tent from the trail. Sunday was AWESOME!

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:22 am

We were not in a lean to -

If you took a right after Marcy Dam, we were on the left.

sigh! next time

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)