not much going on here

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
grabbs146

not much going on here

by grabbs146 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:34 pm

It's getting a little slow on the forum so, dose anyone have any trips planed for the fall and this winter?

I'm going to southern Illinois to do some sport climbing(Jackson Falls)

lets hear about how high your going to get...

no avatar
fsclimb

by fsclimb » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm just planning on N. and S. Dakota Hi Points, not really climbing. Sometime in November.

Yeti

by Yeti » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Cincinnati to Mt Washington summit and back in one weekend, no missed work.
I call it the Northeast Crucible. lol

I'll be posting short trips and reports on here as the Ohio ice forms up.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:04 pm

I wish I were going on trips. However, my parents won't let me go climbing (or camping or hiking for that matter) with people I don't know, and if I don't go climbing, I can't meet people. I'm stuck. :evil:

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Hoping to make my first trip to RRG over Thanksgiving weekend. Need to get approval from the "boss" yet. Things are looking good so far though. I could really go for testing myself on some longer routes.

Nothing set in stone yet but also looking to do a weekend of ice climbing in Michigan. We will see how that pans out.

mtngrl

by mtngrl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:12 pm

A winter ascent of Mt Washington, but haven't decided the route yet.
But am looking for some other ideas for Dec. I'll be unemployed and my husband still has about 2 weeks of vacation to use up. We're looking at either something in the Rockies or the Sierras.
Suggestions welcome.

drjohnso1182

Re: not much going on here

by drjohnso1182 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:27 pm

grabbs146 wrote:I'm going to southern Illinois to do some sport climbing(Jackson Falls)

I see the CMC has an outing planned there this weekend - you going with them?

outofstep80 wrote:Hoping to make my first trip to RRG over Thanksgiving weekend. Need to get approval from the "boss" yet. Things are looking good so far though. I could really go for testing myself on some longer routes.

What a coincidence! I'm planning a trip to RRG over Thanksgiving! Good to hear it's looking good so far.
Talking about "longer" routes, you missed out on a four-pitch climb this weekend at the lake (the length of the pitches is not important :P ). It wasn't Turk's Head Ridge, though - that's still on the to-do list.

aedwards

by aedwards » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Probably going to the Sandstone Ice Festival.
Was supposed to go the North Shore last weekend, but that fell apart. :(

Want to do some more trips, and some winter camping, perhaps a winter BWCA trip.
Looking for partners too...

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:50 pm

mtngrl wrote:A winter ascent of Mt Washington, but haven't decided the route yet.
But am looking for some other ideas for Dec. I'll be unemployed and my husband still has about 2 weeks of vacation to use up. We're looking at either something in the Rockies or the Sierras.
Suggestions welcome.

Lion's Head is a walkup, but fun. If you're more experienced than I (which is extremely likely) you could try one of the Huntington gullies. I've heard that Pinnacle is a good ice climb.

grabbs146

Re: not much going on here

by grabbs146 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 pm

[quote]I see the CMC has an outing planned there this weekend - you going with them?

Yes, I'll be down there from friday to sunday.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:02 am

Are there any ice climbing organizations in the Chicago area? Does the CMC run any ice trips?

aedwards

by aedwards » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:28 am

woodsxc wrote:Are there any ice climbing organizations in the Chicago area? Does the CMC run any ice trips?

Not sure about the CMC. I checked on the Vertical Endeavors (local rock gym, also in Duluth, MN and Warrenville, IL,) and the only classes or trips they do are in MN. Their guides teach and furnish materials for the classes at Sandstone, and are top notch folks. Sandstone's probably a bit far for you though.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:18 am

The CMC does an ice trip to Batchawana Bay every year over Presidents Day weekend in Feb...

I'm doing a trifecta this weekend; the HPs for PA/MD/WV. And next month, the HP for Australia (Kozzie). :)

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Pa/Md highpoints sat. I wanna bring my sis up the east side trail at seneca rocks. Hopefully mt. Washington in jan. Otherwise hoping to learn how to ski and ice climb. I wanna do a big trip to a highpoint out west but who knows

Yeti

by Yeti » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:58 pm

woodsxc wrote:
mtngrl wrote:A winter ascent of Mt Washington, but haven't decided the route yet.
Suggestions welcome.

Lion's Head is a walkup,
Except for the woods. ;)
I keep heading out hoping to do a gully, and keep being turned back by avalanch conditions.

We're heading up on 16 January, dunno what time we'll be at the trailhead.

Next

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)