November in Seattle - where to climb?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
ExcitableBoy

Re: November in Seattle - where to climb?

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:56 am

By November the Cascade River Road will be gated at MP 19 (Eldorado Creek trail head), requiring an extra ~3.5 mile hike to reach the Cascade Pass trail head. The road is typically drivable to MP 19 through December most years, unless a tree or washout blocks the road. Whether the shutdown ends in time and NCNP re-opens by your visit is yet to be seen.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:19 am

Extra 3.5? I thought it was 3 miles. I admit though that this assumption is completely based on the mile markers. Is that why hiking to Cascade Pass felt like a workout? :wink:

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't recall what the exact mileage is, I do recall it was at least 3 miles. Road walking always seems more onerous than trail walking to me.

EastKing

by EastKing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Autoxfil wrote:I will likely be in Seattle for work on or around Nov 13th. I should be able to swing a day off to do something fun.

Should I expect the Twin Sisters to be snow-free? Any other places for long day climbs not too far from Everett with a max difficulty of 3rd class or self-arrest-able-snow? I'm pretty fit and fast, so 10 mile approaches are ok.

If you do get out here and you do bring your gear with you, PM me. It may not be amazing but it will be better than nothing. Just don't think it will be Mox Peaks or Boston Peak. You may get lucky and hit a weather window.

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)