NY Times column & We die Alone

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:51 pm

CheesySciFi wrote:
dskoon wrote:Yeah, I guess what I was getting at, w/out making this thread and the story too political, is, just given our social climate, ie. a pretty divided nation, politically and culturally, could we come together in such circumstances? Maybe if we were fighting Nazis within and around our shores, perhaps that would give rise to such social unity. Dunno. We had it once, during WWII, but, not sure it's been around since. . .

I believe that the American people would be capable of pulling together, but it would take some pretty dire circumstances to make it happen. I have serious doubts as to whether the leadership of either major political party over the past couple decades would be up to it. If the kind of leadership that we've had recently was around in 1944, they would have vowed to get half our tanks past the hedgerows in France by the end of 1947! I just don't see the necessary unity, sense of purpose, or can-do attitude.

Yep, that was what I was gettin' at. Dire circumstances, maybe, but, there seems to much animosity between the polarized sections of our country to come together.

I'm gonna get that book, by the way. Thanks for the recommendation.

donhaller3

by donhaller3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Snowslogger wrote:
Chewbacca wrote:These days there's an annual march along the same route as the escape - although one doesn't get thrown into the sea mid-winter with no shoes and get shot at by nazis. :)

http://karlsoy.com/baalsrud/index_e.htm

There are a lot of tough kids these days who could do the same stuff. But in lack of a war they win gold medals instead.

Not thinking of some skiier named Petter are you :wink:

Or bronze medals. Petra Majdic (spelling?).

Previous

Return to General