Off Route vs. lost

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
fredzurensick

Off Route vs. lost

by fredzurensick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I know that there is a big difference between being "off route" and "lost." They way I understand it, when you're "off route" you still have a general idea of where you are, what direction you are facing, etc. "Lost" is when you don't know where you are, or how to get where you're going. In simpler terms: "Lost" means that any step you take could be taking you farthe from your destination, whereas when "off route," you're still going in the right directin towards your destination. Is this right and can I get more clarification (maybe an example)?

Arthur Digbee

Re: Off Route vs. lost

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 pm

I guess that distinction is a step in the right direction, so it's off-route.

Example?

Once when bushwhacking in southern Indiana, I was not sure whether we were on Ridge A or Ridge B, but I was quite certain we were on one or the other. Either option meant that if we moved southeast, we'd hit our exit trail.

My eldest wanted me to say whether we were on A or B, and I said well, if I had to guess, it was B. Turned out to be A.

He says, "We were lost." I could say, "Off route." But in a way, we were on-route, since climbing the ridge and then going southeast was the original plan of the bushwhack.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

The following user would like to thank Arthur Digbee for this post
fredzurensick

EverydayExplorer

by EverydayExplorer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:02 pm

This might sound brash but to me "off route" vs "lost" is more about your state of mind. If you're panicked then you're lost and will only continue to get yourself more lost. If you're calm but frustrated then you're off route. That said, I rarely climb in areas that are not either ridges or valleys or do not have sufficient line of sight to get my bearings.

The following user would like to thank EverydayExplorer for this post
CSUMarmot, fredzurensick

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:49 am

This would be a great topic for "Off-Route."

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 am

Agreed with EverydayExplorer. Being lost is all about your anxiety level. If you're making dumb mistakes because you're freaking out, youre lost.

Also, if you need to get up on a ridge or climb a tree to find your bearings, you're probably lost. If you have a general idea of where you are plus know which way is N S E W or at least know the car's at the bottom of the valley, you're off route.

I'd also say that if you are separated from your group and don't know where they are, then you're lost.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:08 am

Are you sure this belongs in the PNW forum and not in "off route"? :)
Last edited by AlexeyD on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

billisfree

by billisfree » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 am

Word to the wise...

If you're climbing UPWARDS in fog, etc. ... you'll always know where you'll be - at the summit.

If you're descending... watch out! You can end up on ANY ridge and anywhere around the base of a mountain.
Now, that is LOST!

no avatar
fredzurensick

by fredzurensick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Some good points here, I especially like the point about it being a mental state of mine. Where this question comes from is when a certain climbing buddy and I lose a trail on an approach, they start freaking out and saying we're lost. I wondered how accurate this statement was, so here I am. Thanks for the clarification.

I am fairly new to summit post, and didn't know there was a section for "off route" or I would have posted it there. ;)

x15x15

by x15x15 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 pm

if your out looking for an adventure, how could you ever get lost!

if you you're just trying to tag a summit expecting everything to line up perfectly, you will be lost....

i'm surprised this topic is even on the PNW board...

The following user would like to thank x15x15 for this post
fredzurensick

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:13 pm

fredzurensick wrote:I am fairly new to summit post, and didn't know there was a section for "off route" or I would have posted it there. ;)

That was my poor attempt at humor...in actuality, that forum is designated for non-climbing related chatter. Anyway, carry on...

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

billisfree wrote:Word to the wise...

If you're climbing UPWARDS in fog, etc. ... you'll always know where you'll be - at the summit.

If you're descending... watch out! You can end up on ANY ridge and anywhere around the base of a mountain.
Now, that is LOST!

Depends on where you are. Where I hike (in Shenandoah Park), if you're lost, going downhill is the best way to get yourself found - sooner or later you'll either hit a road or a stream that will take you to a road.

Moni

by Moni » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:42 pm

I am never lost - only temporarily misplaced! :-))

The following user would like to thank Moni for this post
Buz Groshong

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:35 pm

This is what being truly lost means...

no avatar
fredzurensick

by fredzurensick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:34 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
billisfree wrote:Word to the wise...

Now, that is LOST!

Depends on where you are. Where I hike (in Shenandoah Park), if you're lost, going downhill is the best way to get yourself found - sooner or later you'll either hit a road or a stream that will take you to a road.

Excellent Point Buz. I've gotten "off route" on many a descent, and its quite easy to get back on route using my mental map (or a physical one). Just use what you know about the terrain.

no avatar
fredzurensick

by fredzurensick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 pm

x15x15 wrote:if your out looking for an adventure, how could you ever get lost!

if you you're just trying to tag a summit expecting everything to line up perfectly, you will be lost....

i'm surprised this topic is even on the PNW board...

I'm all for having a good time. However, if you can't find your car and you have to be back in town that evening, it's a slight problem.

Next

Return to General