Ojos del Salado - February/March 2019

Find climbing partners in South America.
no avatar
jax

Ojos del Salado - February/March 2019

by jax » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi!
So, I have come to an idea of trying to do the Ojos some time this season (preferably Feb/Mar). Preferably Chilean side, normal route. High, difficult and expensive, but might be worth it.
Anyone else interested? :D

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Ojos del Salado - February/March 2019

by Scott » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:47 am

Just a suggestion, but I'd try the Argentina side rather than the Chile side. I wasn't that impressed by the Chile side, but I was told the Argentine side is much better. It is more interesting, more scenic, less crowded, cleaner, and has water along the way. It is a longer climb and a little harder to get to though.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
T. White

no avatar
Slourie9

by Slourie9 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 am

I’m interested! Originally thought about Chilean side being solo, but Argentinian side sounds much more appealing if it’s possible to link up with some folks. My timeline is a bit late-season... late (late) March or early April... thoughts? If anyone thinks it’s too late to attempt, let me know!

onwards

by onwards » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 am

I attempted Ojos in February 2018 (from the Chilean side). Turned around because of the weather.

I may try it again, possibly in Dec 2019 or Jan of 2020.
It's hard to predict the weather, but in 2018 even February was too late - precipitation from Bolivia came to Atacama. It would be unheard of before, but the climate is changing.

My peakbagger link is in the profile for my background.

If anyone is interested in the climb (I will consider either side) feel free to reach out to me: lazutin [at] gmail.com.

Cheers!

Return to South America