Old school local in San Diego looking for a climbing partner

Find climbing partners in California
Fried Chicken

Old school local in San Diego looking for a climbing partner

by Fried Chicken » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:11 am

Old school local here in Dago, climber for decades, but perhaps better known for cutting-edge small craft voyages to offshore islands, as well as sailing the length and breadth of the Salton Sea. Posting here in the hope of finding a climbing partner with gear, specifically a decent rope and rack of climbing hardware... all I have right now are climbing shoes, chalkbag, climbing packs, and heaps of regular field gear for remote camping. However, I also own a small cartoppable sailboat, and I'm willing to swap voyages for climbing sessions, so to speak, since I have no rope or rack at this time. If any Dago locals or residents see this post and wanna pull this sort of exchange, I use my own car for transporting the boat and I don't care about driving to the crags. I have enough regular field gear to handle just about any expedition, and I prefer remote camping on BLM land, rather than dealing with crowds & badges in developed areas.

Ideally, some Penthouse Pet with a huge rack (of climbing gear) will answer my post and offer to share her rack, even springing for gourmet food & beer on our expeditions, LOL. Knowing the Internet as I do, I'm gonna shelve this unrealistic expectation and go with anyone who has a rack o' gear and a decent rope (always liked well-kept Edelweiss & Mammut ropes myself). A good outing for me is a trip to McCain Valley, camping in Lark Canyon for two nights and climbing the Lowenbrau Pinnacle on the intermediate day... partying like a mofo round a campfire at night, and macking the heller gourmet grinds at the appropriate time, yeah? I'm also big on days at the Gorge, trips to Stonewall, Lawson Peak, Valley of the Moon, etc. Gladly do El Cap (El Cajon Mtn) with the right person, same as Woodson, Rainbow or T-Domes. On the flip side, no nautical experience is necessary, one learns fast aboard this boat, which is simply-rigged yet hauls ass for a monohull. I will post shots of her soon, got heaps of food, beer & football going on this holiday weekend.
"What lured him on was, of course, the great adventure, the eternal longing of every truly creative man to push on into unexplored country, to discover something entirely new---if only about himself."

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

Re: Old school local in San Diego looking for a climbing par

by Fried Chicken » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Meh, I've lost my youthful charm, and my wallet is broken so I can't afford to buy one outright... not that I really care, I've already seen my share of good-looking women. The search for a potential climbing partner is a long shot, but ya never know, some climber might figure it's worth it to swap crag sessions for sailing voyages. If not, no big deal, I can still boulder while camping (days of soloing taller cliffs are long gone), and sandbag passersby to help load and unload the boat. Maybe later today I can post a few shots of Salton Expedition II, which will show the boat and the kind of sailing that I do.
"What lured him on was, of course, the great adventure, the eternal longing of every truly creative man to push on into unexplored country, to discover something entirely new---if only about himself."

Heinrich Harrer

Fried Chicken

by Fried Chicken » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:24 am

Well, I reckon it's easier to simply list a few web pages that already have pics posted...

For shots of Salton Expedition II, sailing the length of the Salton Sea from NSYC (North Shore Yacht Club) to a mud flat near Red Hill Marina, visit this page:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/salton-sea-salton-city

Scroll downward till you see a "review" by Railsplitter Z... Salton photos can be found in reverse order at the bottom of that review. Radical venue, the Salton, particularly for small craft sailors. Click the appropriate line to "See all photos by Railsplitter..." and work your way backwards through the assortment to see the expedition as it unfolded.

For island shots, visit these pages:

http://forums.oausa.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 72&start=0

There are cool island shots on both pages of this thread, as well as some classic shots of climbing venues nationwide. The island shots in this thread were taken back when I still had my 14' Laser of decades: my current Obamanomic Megayacht is 2' shorter than the Laser, but there's still room for two people on deck, with a yard between 'em. "The Fish" (as I call her) is also lighter than the Laser, which makes loading and unloading easier. Oh, yeah, if all the photos don't appear the first time you hit these pages, just refresh the thread title until they materialize.

Heinrich Harrer

Burchey

by Burchey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:17 pm

You sound like a real dumbass, so you should fit right in with our group. We hit Woodson usually on wed after work, and tahquitz/jtree/sierra on the weekends. We've got a sailor in the group already, and plenty of rope/gear when needed. Feel free to tag along one day and see if you enjoy yourself.

other

by other » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Fried chicken, when did you last climb? What rating were you climbing at? Are you willing to meet at a gym for a check out climb and belay? Check out the san diego climbing meetup.com group

Return to US - California