Partner or route recommendation - one night only

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
neoday

Partner or route recommendation - one night only

by neoday » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Business is taking me to Denver December 1-2nd. I live in great flat state of Minnesota :shock: so any chance I get to go hiking/climbing I am all for it. Basically, I will have meetings during the day (possibly dinner too on the 1st) but I should have 8-10 hours of darkness to go play. Sleep- I can get it when I get home.

I was thinking of some fun/close hikes to Denver. I lived there for two years (a decade ago) and the only thing I can think of would be going to St. Mary's Glacier. Seems like most 13er/14er roads will be closed by then. I could bring my snowboard but without a full moon, doing that at night can be quite tricky. I also don't want to bring my full ice climbing kit since it is a work trip, but if there is some good ice to be had near Denver and someone is up for some midnight climbing sessions, I am totally game.

Any recommendations on places to go hiking/climbing? I believe I just need to be back in the hotel by 0800 on the 2nd.

Hey, I am from Minnesota- my mom taught me to appreciate whatever I get. :D

I am interested in: ice climbing, hiking, snowshoeing, basically anything that would put me in the mountains.

I should have access to a car...

Send me a PM or just reply to this thread with ideas- thanks in advance!

Haliku

Re: Partner or route recommendation - one night only

by Haliku » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 pm

James Peak above St Mary's is a popular night climb, weather and moon cycle dependant of course, for the front range. Drive time is short so you can max your outside time with your limited window. Another option is head up to Loveland pass and do a quick hike to Grizzly or Sniktau. If it was any other week I'd join you but I'll be out of town. Cheers!
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." --Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to Colorado