Pikes Peak during the hill climb?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Yeti

Pikes Peak during the hill climb?

by Yeti » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Has anyone been up there during the race? More specifically, has anyone climbed up there?
I was thinking it'd be great to combine a climb with the race, and looking at the site, the ticket checkpoints are all on roads. ;)

Of course, the noon "get the hell out of dodge" would be strong with this plan, and seeing anything of the cars would likely require a midnight-or-earlier start. I imagine the storms are just as consistent there as anywhere else.

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

On the Friday last year before the race I was making the drive from the Denver airport to the SP gathering in the San de Cristos. We drove up Pikes while everything for the race was being set up. The cars were just starting to roll in. Seems like it was a big event. I'm not much of a race fan but it would be cool.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Yup. Climbed the north face on the 4th. I didn't go to see the race and turned back before the top. I didn't see anyone from the time I left Barr Camp (off trail) until I got down to Cascade on the 5th. Back when I did it, tickets were only for those driving up the road.

As for the weather, yes there are often thunderstorms over the 4th. I'm surprised that more people don't get struck with the number of people that stand out there under umbrellas waiting for the storms to clear.

Return to Colorado