Pikes Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
jspears0001

Pikes Peak

by jspears0001 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:53 pm

HI Everyone,

So I'm flying into Colorado Springs Feb 2010 to climb Pikes Peak. Can anyone offer any advice on the Crags TH? During Feb, how deep is the snow typically, are crampons needed, etc?

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

Matt Worster

by Matt Worster » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:44 pm

you'll get much better info from the locals, but here is my trip reportfor 17 March 2007. There are photos that show the conditions.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:07 am

Hard to say on specific conditions, but unless you have a storm right before going, you should be fine in hiking boots and maybe gaitors. The trail is almost always packed down enough that snowshoes are useless. Off the trail, you will probably be in deep snow. Once above tree-line, the snow is almost always wind packed or blown away completely. I have never used crampons or an axe on that side of the peak. Avy danger is pretty much non-existent. (FYI, I live about 25 minutes from the trailhead and have climbed Pikes multiple times in every month of the year. )

BTW, Matt's pictures look like they were taken during a bit of a dry spell. I would expect more snow above tree line than that.

jmeizis

by jmeizis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:38 am

The first time I went in winter it was a dry winter. I slogged through waist deep snow drifts where the trail wasn't broken but I was on the Barr Trail. Depending on recent snow and wind it might be a better idea to bring snow shoes but it's usually pretty windpacked so you should be ok in boots.

jspears0001

by jspears0001 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:40 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the information. How far is the drive from the airport to the Crags TH? I am getting in on a Friday so I am hoping to drive straight from the airport and start hiking. Set up camp on the way up and (weather permitting) summit on Saturday.

Thanks again
Jonathan

skorpeo

by skorpeo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 am

It will take just under an hour and a half from the airport. It could be pretty windy and cold.

csmcgranahan

by csmcgranahan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:31 pm

skorpeo wrote:It will take just under an hour and a half from the airport. It could be pretty windy and cold.

I second the windy and cold comment. The high today in Colorado Springs at 6,000' is unlikely to top 40 degrees. They are calling for a rain/snow mix tonight so the peak might get hammered.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:08 am

jspears0001 wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the information. How far is the drive from the airport to the Crags TH? I am getting in on a Friday so I am hoping to drive straight from the airport and start hiking. Set up camp on the way up and (weather permitting) summit on Saturday.

Thanks again
Jonathan

If you are going to camp along the crags trail, don't get too high. As you are going up, you will cross creeks twice on bridges. After that, you will cross the creek (from the south side to the north side of the creek.) If you go much higher than that, you will have a hard time finding a tent site until you get well above tree line where you will be exposed to the winds. You can go a little ways above the creek but once the trail curves left and starts climbing, it stays steep.

Return to Colorado