Points change

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
MoapaPk

Re: Points change

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:45 am

While I do like some gear reviews ( e.g. pop tart holder and bread bag vapor barrier socks), I'd have to say most are useless. Besides the fact ( as mentioned by Scott) that most are obsolete, the grouping into categories seems arcane, even random at times.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Scott

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:50 am

Woodswalker wrote:I don't understand what the advantage is of having more points. What is the point of points?

Being first, the highest, having the most........is our society!!!! Give me my points back! :wink:

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
reboyles

Dean

by Dean » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:04 pm

For those who wonder about the value of points, they represent in a way, pay for the work that you have done to create the pages that make up the backbone of this site. You can spend several hours to create a mountain page and your "reward" is the 4 or 5 points you earn for your effort.

If you have never taken the time to put up a mountain page, then you have no clue as to the work involved. I have some friends who have left summitpost as contributors and switched to making their information available at peakbagger.com as they got tired of the effort involved to put up a decent page. It is easy to scoff at those who have a lot of points and make fun of them but without their effort, there wouldn't be much to see on summitpost.

So, yeah, points do mean something to some of us who put in the time and effort. The problem is in calling them "power" points. The term power is probably the reason why people do end up making fun such as intended by the picture put up by the "Power Lord" here a few days ago. If points were looked at as an indicator of what people have contributed to this site, then maybe we could drop the term "power points" and recognize that summitpost is truly a co-operative effort to share information. Anyway, my 2 cents.

The following user would like to thank Dean for this post
Bob Sihler, chugach mtn boy, Fletch, Marcsoltan, MarkDidier, Old School WB, Sarah Simon, Silvia Mazzani

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:28 am

My biggest concern is the issue of the missing summit logs. Is there an easy way for those of us with a few hundred logs to know which ones disappeared?

As far as patterns a it seems like logs from 2006/2007 were most impacted for me - as far as I can tell.

Thanks,
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:38 am

Dennis Poulin's peakbagger pages, for cl 1 and 2 peaks, are generally superior to most sp pages in terms is info content, especially since there is typically GPS trace on a map. For class 3 routes one may need a few more pictures.

Unfortunately, sp has an implicit point-trading system that makes page rating unrelated to the actual usefulness of the page (you scratch my back...).

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Is there an easy way for those of us with a few hundred logs to know which ones disappeared?

I used the wayback machine to find out. I copied and pasted my current logs next to October's logs into a spreadsheet side by side. It only took a few minutes to find out which ones were missing. Of course resigning them is an inconvenience.

You lost the following logs (rgg went through them):

Bennett Mountain
Boulder Hill (Black Hills SD)
El Morro (US National Monuments)
Elephant Butte (Front Range (CO))
Gate Rock aka "North Gateway Rock" (Garden of the Gods)
Hawk Mountain (Appalachian Trail Mountains)
Kellogg Mountain (Santa Catalina Summits)
Peak 7 (Tenmile Range)
Rattlesnake Butte (Pikes Peak Region)
Saint Charles Peak (Wet Mountains)
Sheep Mountain (Pikes Peak Region)
UN 10350
UN 11449 "Little Puma" (Colorado 11ers)
UN 12331 "Madonna Dome" (Colorado 12ers)
UN 3380 (Tucson Mountains)
UN 9540 "Mount Esther" (Pikes Peak Region)
Volz Benchmark (Front Range (CO))

As far as we know it was a one time thing and hasn't happened before or since. I hope it never happens again.

Fletch

by Fletch » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Dean, I couldn't agree more with your post. SP is truly a collaborative effort. In the case of the OP, my poking fun at him was to highlight what I felt was an attention/points grab. Whether I'm right or not is anyone's guess, but when it comes to mountains, routes, etc, I couldn't agree more --- people should be recognized for their efforts and given the appropriate control within the site. And the OP is a respected and valuable contributor. But for 3 year old gear reviews, who gives a crap? Much ado about nothing. That's just my two cents.

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
Dean

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Scott wrote:
Is there an easy way for those of us with a few hundred logs to know which ones disappeared?

I used the wayback machine to find out. I copied and pasted my current logs next to October's logs into a spreadsheet side by side. It only took a few minutes to find out which ones were missing.

As far as we know it was a one time thing and hasn't happened before or since. I hope it never happens again.

Did you figure out a way to find the dates of your missing logs?

The primary reason I joined SP was to keep track of summit dates, who I was with, etc. It's impossible to remember all that over a span of 10+ years. Isn't the data on SP backed up and can't the missing summit logs be restored?

Daria

by Daria » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 am

Dean wrote: You can spend several hours to create a mountain page and your "reward" is the 4 or 5 points you earn for your effort.

wait. Is this suppose to be a reward?
I'm the top troll.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:01 am

Catamount wrote:Blah, blah, blah.

Anyone who submits a gear review page should lose points, IMO.

And FWIW, I am one of the main authors and the only maintainer of the US State Highpoints page ... which is one of the most popular and highly-rated pages on the entire site.

And yet I've received exactly zero points for my efforts for more than eight years.

The points system can suck it.

Fact.

A lot of people feel the same way about albums. And maps. And photos of anything other than a pretty mountain. The beauty of SP is that if you don't like something, just ignore it.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 pm

If the 100-200 hours that I've put into this is worth 0 points ...

It is worth points; it's just that SawtoothSean is the owner of the page and he gets the points. If you are the only one maintaining it, then it probably should be your page, but that's between you guys to decide. Any admin of the page can make themselves owner, and it's up to you guys to work it out. I know that there has been discussion of splitting points between all people who can edit the pages, but the people that can make such a change have been busy with other things.

I also maintain or have written sections on many pages as an admin (so have many other members), but unfortunately that's just the way things work at this time.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Sure, good solution. I think I'll go pick a stupid fight over points with a couple of guys I like

Just kidding.

the elves I don't like don't are "too busy" to plug an obvious hole.

The elves don't change the programming and have also agreed that they wanted a point share system for shared pages.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm

I went from a power 74 down to a 47 and vote weight dropped as well, can someone do the math and tell me how many photos I need to vote on to bring my numbers back up? :wink: It's really affect my life...

Fletch

by Fletch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:53 am

Catamount wrote:Yes, you are all very good at using your imagined positions of authority to stroke your overbloated egos.

Did your account get hacked? Stop being such an a-hole. Scott is just trying to answer your questions.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback