Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4 maps

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Jelf

Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4 maps

by Jelf » Fri May 11, 2018 3:18 pm

The map software I developed, Gmap4, will likely stop working after June 10th. I know there are many peak pages here on SP that include an embedded Gmap4 map. Sorry for the bad news.

Last week Google announced a major price increase for all maps that use the Google Map API (Application Program Interface). This includes Gmap4 and other popular browser-based map apps. Each time a map is opened, the API code is downloaded from Google’s servers to the user’s browser.

Currently Google allows a map to be opened 25,000 times per day for free. After that the map stops working until the next day when the map gets another allocation of 25,000 daily API downloads. If the pay wall is hit the map developer has the option of buying more API downloads to keep the map going that same day.

Starting June 11th the amount of free API downloads is being slashed from 25,000/day to 28,000/month. On average the new limit is roughly 900/day. Additional API downloads can be purchased at the rate of $7 per 1,000.

In the last 30 days Gmap4 downloaded the Google map API about 220,000 times. Under the new scheme that would have cost me ~$1,300.

Last year during the California wildland fires Google became aware of my wildland fire map which had hit their 25,000/day pay wall. Google contacted me with the cheery news they were raising my API allocation to 250,000/day. Later that API allocation was raised to 1,000,000/day where it remains as I type.

Under the new policies Google will grant more API downloads for disaster maps but the tone of their documentation indicates they have really tightened this up. Plus Gmap4 is used for a mixture of disaster/recreation/education/political/etc maps.

I will apply under the new policies for more API downloads based on the disaster mapping I do but I fully expect the Gmap4 we know today is going away. On the other hand, I have always wanted to learn the open source Leaflet map API.

When I get a reply from Google I will post back here.

Joseph Elfelt

The following user would like to thank Jelf for this post
ZeeJay

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4 ma

by rgg » Mon May 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Jelf wrote:The map software I developed, Gmap4, will likely stop working after June 10th

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm using Gmap4 a lot, often with various Google map types. Will it still work for other map types than those from Google?

no avatar
Jelf

Re: Policy change at Google likely means the end of Gmap4 ma

by Jelf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:18 pm

I finally heard back from Google. Yes, they are allocating me more free API downloads. No, it is not nearly enough. For more info you can click “Gmap4 news” in the lower left corner of the map.
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gmap4 will stop working end-of-day on July 15.

Work starts today to produce a new map using Leaflet. The new name will be GISsurfer. In broad strokes the goal is to replicate the features of Gmap4 minus the 4 Google basemaps.

The first version of GISsurfer will display a very basic wildland fire map. Then I will work on adding the rest of features. Fortunately a lot of the Gmap4 code can be recycled.

Joseph Elfelt
twitter @MappingSupport

Return to General