Possible to buy Via Ferrata gear in the Dolomites?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
pkb4112

Possible to buy Via Ferrata gear in the Dolomites?

by pkb4112 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Is it easy enough to buy Via Ferrata gear in the Dolomites area?

I'll be headed there mid October and would like to hit some Via Ferrata routes, but I don't want to buy stuff now in case the routes are closed due to snow, I'd rather wait and buy locally once I arrive unless I won't be able to find a spot to buy them.

Any input on good routes or experiences in the area during October would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

- Peter

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Possible to buy Via Ferrata gear in the Dolomites?

by rgg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 pm

There are lots of outdoor shops all over the Dolomites and it's real easy to find Via Ferrata gear, either buying or renting.

As for October, I've never visited the Alps around that time of the year, but snow definitely is a real factor to consider - it already is in September. Still, there are so many routes, as long as the weather is fair, there will be plenty to choose from. If there is too much snow higher up in the mountains, simply climb something that's a bit lower. The outdoor shops themselves always have knowledgeable staff that can advise you on routes that suit your preferences and that are in good enough shape.

Judging by some webcam images, the snow levels right now are still pretty high. Two weeks from now that may be very different though...

no avatar
mariomolina

Re: Possible to buy Via Ferrata gear in the Dolomites?

by mariomolina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Left Misurina about two weeks ago, mainly due to rain and snow.
Even scraped the windshield one morning.
Yeah, you can buy gear just about everywhere.
Can't imagine renting via ferrata gear, especially the slings.

Return to Europe