Fun Class 2/3 with some snow

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tedryan10

Fun Class 2/3 with some snow

by tedryan10 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Hoping to do a quick solo weekend climb in the Sierras (south of Bishop if I can help it) that's technical enough to be fun but "straight forward enough" as I'll be flying solo. Most importantly I'd love to get on some snow. Anything fit this bill this late in the season that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

cab

Re: Fun Class 2/3 with some snow

by cab » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Not much snow south of Bishop this time of year. Maybe some small patches here and there from dying glaciers. It will be dry, but check out Mt. Winchell for some Class 2 & 3 climbing.

no avatar
tedryan10

by tedryan10 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Thanks Cab,

Got an overnight permit for Winchell in October so will try something else. Was thinking Matterhorn but would rather not cruise all the way to Bridgeport from LA.

no avatar
tedryan10

by tedryan10 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Think I'll forego a snowy couloir for University's North Face.

hailman

by hailman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:54 pm

If you haven't done Mt Agassiz and are willing to drive to Bishop, I could highly recommend that. Best class 2 I've been on, very solid. And you could scope out the approach to Winchell across the moraines from the summit!

I just scrambled University solo a few weeks ago, and all the loose rock made me a little nervous the whole time. Not a whole lot of actual solid scrambling to be had on that route. The summit register is missing right now as well. Found a bunch of old tin cans and some gloves in the crevices, though.

The following user would like to thank hailman for this post
tedryan10

no avatar
tedryan10

by tedryan10 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Ah, very good to know. Watching some vids from University I got that impression, lots of jumbo talus. Agassiz has been on my list for a while and sounds a little more stable considering solo travel.

@hailman, what route do you recommend on Agassiz?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Dragon Peak is cool and not too difficult if you are ok with the exposure and is a short approach. If you rather a very long approach then Stanford or Caltech peaks are nice (I did them from the west). Or Center Peak and Junction Peak from Center Basin. These latter four peaks probably most enjoyable as 3 day weekends. Mount Corcoran is cool from Meysan Lake.

hailman

by hailman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:21 am

You want the west slope of Mt Agassiz. There is a great page for Agassiz on Summitpost here.

I remember the open terrain at Bishop Pass was a little disorienting direction-wise, but there is a glacial erratic (huge boulder that seems out of place) that marks a good place to start up the west slope. I did it solo and had a blast. Stick around at the summit and you might catch some thunderous rockfall coming down the Palisade couloirs!

I like mrchad's ideas as well (I want to backpack to a few of those areas). Dragon Peak is another good dayhike but does have some very spicy climbing at the end!

Return to California