Camping out in woods etc,

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Nightstalker32

Camping out in woods etc,

by Nightstalker32 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:27 am

Hey guys, just a question regarding camping. My brother and I are planning a 1 night hike and camping trip in Indiana or Michigan area. We both come from Marine Corps infantry backgrounds and have a odd image of camping.
We like to go off the beaten path far away from ppl and set a small impact camp in middle of nowhere. The problem I'm having is, is it legal? Could you guys just get dropped off on foot in a state park or forest preserve and hike it out until you find a site to camp for a night?
I dont wanna camp on a cement block with an rv parked near me.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Camping out in woods etc,

by Scott » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:52 am

Then why limit yourself to Indiana (one of the most boring states in the nation) or Michigan?

In the words of John Babsone Lane Soule, Go West Young Man.

no avatar
Nightstalker32

by Nightstalker32 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:50 pm

I agree fully. If I had the time etc, I would go West for weeks. Unfortunately, between money, wife kids and my job. I only got about 2 full days at any given time to go anywhere. So that's why we are trying to do something closer. Hell, i live in Chicago, so to me sadly, when I see a tree I think I'm in " the Bush"

technicolorNH

by technicolorNH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:02 pm

From what I can see on the websites for Yellowwood State Forest and Hoosier National Forest in Indiana they do not state that they ban back country camping at either location but the websites are clearly directed at people who want to stay at fee campgrounds and RV parks. A quick call to the ranger station in your target area would answer your question pretty quickly. In any case Hoosier or Manistee National Forest are BIG places so I'd say if you hiked far off the beaten path and set up a low impact camp far from a mapped trail you'd have as much solitude as you want. Although neither area is in drought conditions you might want to ask about campfire restrictions (if any) aside from the usual firewood bans other than collecting on site. Primitive camping is what I do much of the time in the Catskills and White Mountains myself.

no avatar
Nightstalker32

by Nightstalker32 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 pm

I have hiked in some parks around here and due to a fire ban I just use a small stove. Of course if I was in a survival situation of any kind I would be going the bonfire route

moonspots

by moonspots » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Nightstalker32 wrote:...We like to go off the beaten path far away from ppl and set a small impact camp in middle of nowhere. The problem I'm having is, is it legal? ...

Can't answer the legality question, but this guy has some ideas/methods to help you get "out of sight, out of mind": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdX8Z5R_w8

He has several good videos, in my opinion anyway.

Have fun.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 pm

As a general rule, US National Forests allow "dispersed camping" pretty much anywhere that camping is not explicitly prohibited. What you described as your objective (low impact camping in the middle of nowhere away from people and developed sites) is consistent with "dispersed camping." You might have to get a fire permit from a Ranger station if you want to build a campfire or even use a stove - I believe that will depend on local regulations - but no other permits are typically required. National Parks and Wilderness areas often allow camping but you often need to get a wilderness permit from a Ranger station before camping legally.

no avatar
Nightstalker32

by Nightstalker32 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:19 pm

I do appreciate the help and advice. Besides humps and patrols im used to doing one day hikes in places like starved rock and Indiana dunes state park where they prohibit any fires camping etc.
We have decided on Manistee national forest. Looking at going in bout a month. I believe in basic land nav and will be plotting a general route/ back up route with map and compass.
Issue I'm having is finding the right topographical map. Im looking for it to have the main trails, waterways etc. The maps on usgs seem to come in sections. Do you guys just print out many sections to get the bigger picture? Or is there one large map I can get?
I wanna plot my points starting from where ever we decide to park our car ( visitor lot? ). Of course I want all this done from home before we even get out there

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Go here:

http://caltopo.com/map.html

enter your destination in the search box at the top, in lat/long or UTM or just a place name.

Choose your mapping layer from the menu at upper right. My favorite is "US Forest Service" - lots of detail and nice clean background. Tends to be blank outside of national forests, but it does cover Manistee. Note that this map layer (and the USGS layer too) is based on paper maps from up to twenty years ago. Not all trails were correctly drawn and some have changed in the meantime. Be sure to compare the trails shown to the trail maps published by the National Forest, which I'll assume are more up-to-date:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hmnf/maps ... RDB5275161 (scroll down a bit for "nonmotorized trails").

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Off trail is the only way to go in my opinion.

Stupid rangers will try to tell you that you can't leave the trail. "Watch this, asshole."

Gotta watch for closed areas (nesting sites, vegetation rehab, etc.) and fire regulations.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:17 am

Nightstalker32 wrote:Hey guys, just a question regarding camping. My brother and I are planning a 1 night hike and camping trip in Indiana or Michigan area. We both come from Marine Corps infantry backgrounds and have a odd image of camping.
We like to go off the beaten path far away from ppl and set a small impact camp in middle of nowhere. The problem I'm having is, is it legal? Could you guys just get dropped off on foot in a state park or forest preserve and hike it out until you find a site to camp for a night?

If you get a bit stuck on this topic then revert back to the queens chain. I am not sure but isn't it 15 paces either side of a river?

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 pm

+1 to head North to the UP. Limitless possibilities up there in the north woods.

Return to General