'Easiest' State Highpoint over 10k Feet.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
spiderman

Re: 'Easiest' State Highpoint over 10k Feet.

by spiderman » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Yeah, Basham. White Mountain is not a long drive away from Boundary. Note that a low-clearance vehicle could struggle a bit getting to the trailhead, and the 14 mile RT road hike will take a beating on your body if you aren't acclimated. Boundary peak is fun for people who enjoy scree. It is a half day hike from the 2wd-accessible TH. Other relatively easy state HPs include Humphreys, Wheeler, and Mauna Kea. Elbert is in a slightly harder category but still a day hike if you are acclimated.

They are all non-technical day hikes except for the noted WY, WA, OR, MT, AK, and likely UT.

reboyles

by reboyles » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:44 pm

I haven't done Wheeler yet but I'd say Boundary and Humphreys are two of the easier western high points. Borah is a relatively short hike but not something I'd call easy compared to the two mentioned above. Kings and Whitney are relatively easy but both require a long hike to get to. I didn't think Gannett was very technical, just long.

Bob

Basham

by Basham » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:14 pm

I more so want to test how well my body acclimates.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:25 am

I more so want to test how well my body acclimates.

If so, a longer trip such as Kings Peak wouldn't be a disadvantage. It would be nice leisurely 3 or more day trip. If you can do Guadalupe Peak and can carry a backpack, you should be able to do Kings Peak.

reboyles

by reboyles » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:39 pm

The Queens mine approach to Boundary Peak starts at around 9400' and if you have a 4x4 you can get to the saddle that sits over 10,000'. A day or two camping/hiking at that elevation would allow your body to adjust before you take on the summit. Full acclimatization takes time and everyone is different. I've seen super fit people get sick above 11,000' where others with no training aren't affected at all. You just need to get up there and see for yourself how you do at higher elevations.

bob

Basham

by Basham » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:02 pm

I know that fitness and shit has nothing to do with getting mountain sickness. Which is why I'm not gonna let it scare me.

Previous

Return to General