Possible May (2017) Peru trip

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
sroot

Possible May (2017) Peru trip

by sroot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Hey all! I have long thought about going to Peru before and doing some backpacking, trad climbing, and maybe a few higher peaks down there (no high grade snow climbing). I was curious if anybody on here has ever been to Peru/wants to go to Peru and has any thoughts about a trip like this?? I just price scoped some tickets from May 6th (when I get out of college) to May 26th and its sitting at below $750, pretty decent price. I think 20 days would be a decent amount of time to knock some stuff out down there.. Any thoughts??

Thanks a lot!

Sam Root

Matt Lemke

Re: Possible May (2017) Peru trip

by Matt Lemke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:31 am

Hike some of the lower peaks in the Cordillera Blanca (Urus Este and Ishinca are good ones, as well as Maparaju). Go trad climbing at the Sphinx. Huayhuash Trek is phenomenal for trekking and backpacking.

Not sure how snowy it still is in May though...most people go in June-August.

seano

by seano » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm also looking to go to Peru sometime next summer. I could go in May, or from mid-June to mid-July, and am curious what conditions will be like in the Cordillera Blanca at those times. I gather the traditional season is July and August, but also that conditions are changing rapidly due to global warming, and that things are normally drier in La Niña years like this one. Do any of you with recent Cordillera experience have a sense for what avalanche, crevasse, and weather conditions will be over the course of the 2017 season?

@sroot -- I'd go for as long as you can get away with, since the main cost of the trip is the flight.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:05 pm

seano wrote:I'm also looking to go to Peru sometime next summer. I could go in May, or from mid-June to mid-July, and am curious what conditions will be like in the Cordillera Blanca at those times.

June and July are considered the best months (typically better than August), so mid June to mid July should be good in most years.

I don't know what La Niña will do to the conditions, but normally dry conditions make the climbs harder, especially late season. If conditions during the wet season turn out to be dry, May might be good.

Scott Dusek

by Scott Dusek » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:24 pm

I am actively looking for partners for Peru this climbing season (late May to early September 2017). I am with my wife and we are in Buenos Aires now headed to Patagonia on Thursday. I will be heading back to Peru via Bolivia and can be there in May or June.

Would love to meet up and climb the a
Sphinx and some peaks - if Hatun Machay gets repaired (chopped bolts) that would be fun to, and of course I would be into trekking. Lots of good "small peaks" to climb. Let me know, could work out nicely.

I am already quite familiar with Peru, speak fluent Spanish, and am a former glacier climbing guide :) My wife is an avid trekker and will climb easier mountains but she isn't into technical climbing - being an avid reader she has zero issues with hanging out at base camp for as many days as I am "occupied" :)

no avatar
murdocho

by murdocho » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Hello all,
I'm planning to be in South America early May through mid June. Am also looking to do some trekking and easy peaks. let me know if anyone is interested in meeting up

no avatar
murdocho

by murdocho » Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm currently in Huaraz and will be here until at least the 20th. Can stay longer if anyone wants to meet up.. reply here or drop me a line at solidus11@icloud.com or +51 989 228 896

Return to South America