Which tape and adhesive for breaking in boots (or feet)?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
papienka

Which tape and adhesive for breaking in boots (or feet)?

by papienka » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm

I need to break in new mountaineering boots (Nepal Cube). I'm told taping is the way to go, and better things than duct tape have been invented, such as kinesio tape. Which one is your favorite, and why? My PT uses RockTape on my knees. Is it good for taping one's feet for blisters? What other brand do you use? What do you use for adhesive? Do you know any other magic tricks you can share? I heard some folks using ziploc bags. Does that work? Thanks!

beean

Re: Which tape and adhesive for breaking in boots (or feet)?

by beean » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:10 pm

Go on a bunch of short walks instead of taping your feet. Duct tape is good as it's slippery which I find to work better than strapping tape.

staringcontest

by staringcontest » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Bread bags work OK. Gorilla tape stays on better when your feet start sweating, but hurts like a SOB when it's time to take it off. I've used the tape weightlifters use to wrap their hands as well.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I have to agree with Mr. beean.

I use duct tape, it reinforces the skin and provides a sliding layer which reduces friction. There is probably something better out there, but I haven't found it. Taping a blister that has already formed with duct tape may keep you in the game, but you WILL tear the entire blister off with the tape. Experience talking here. There are definitely much better options to treat blisters; Spenco Second Skin, J&J Blister Pads for example.

Going on short walks is great idea. Wear the boots around the house, when you are mowing the lawn, to the market, or where wherever to break them in as much as possible before you wear them on longer trips.

Boots break in much faster now due to the way they are designed. I had a pair of LS K2s, full leather upper, 3/4 shank. They took 2 years to break in before I stopped having blisters. I once had to take my boots off and walk barefoot for 5.5 miles because they caused blisters so bad. Also, I had to walk to school uphill BOTH WAYS, with nothing but a hot baked potato to keep my hands warm and that was my lunch, but I digress.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
NHWare

colinr

by colinr » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:04 pm

In the past, I used duct tape a lot, gorilla tape, and cheap first aid/athletic tape. I found Kinesio tape to stay in place longer and be more comfortable than the above, but found leukotape to stay in place even better and provide a bit more protection. I prefer the breathability of non-duct tape options as well. Toughening up problem areas ahead of a trip is great, but not always possible. Some of my outings are long enough that some blisters are almost guaranteed, especially without protecting known problem areas with something like leukotape.

NHWare

by NHWare » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:55 pm

colinr wrote:In the past, I used duct tape a lot, gorilla tape, and cheap first aid/athletic tape. I found Kinesio tape to stay in place longer and be more comfortable than the above, but found leukotape to stay in place even better and provide a bit more protection. I prefer the breathability of non-duct tape options as well. Toughening up problem areas ahead of a trip is great, but not always possible. Some of my outings are long enough that some blisters are almost guaranteed, especially without protecting known problem areas with something like leukotape.

I highly recommend this tape. I used it with rental boots on Rainier, and as a result left the mountain with a singular tiny blister. Had it not been for the tape, however, my foot would have not fared well. The friction had substantially worn through the tape.

This tape is easy and painless to pull off when you want to, and yet if you dont mess with it it will stay on your feet for days, sweat and all.

As much as I agree that its a great idea to toughen up your feet and form caluses, if it gets down to the wire or you just want some insurance against being miserable I recommend the Leukotape.

no avatar
Ellesmere

by Ellesmere » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Premium solution for me:
https://www.compeed.co.uk/compeed-footc ... m-plasters

Works as prevention, on blisters, and is the best solution if large blisters have opened up.

Apart from that I use an inch-wide sport tape from the discounter during last time, and it works just fine, with new ski boots and stiff boots.

no avatar
papienka

by papienka » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks, everyone!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:50 pm

I swap the potential hot spot with an alcohol swap then apply tincture of benzoin. Cut an elastic tape (Elastikon, KT) to fit the area and round the corners before applying it as flat and wrinkle free as possible. Then apply Micropore over the edge of the elastic tape; this provides a "ramp" for the sock to move over the thicker elastic tape. Be careful when putting on your sock so it does not damage your perfect tape job.

This is where I got the idea: http://www.badwater.com/university/blister-care/

I use KT Tape (NOT the cotton version) instead of the Elastikon.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 am

+1 on Leukotape. I've had really good success using Leukotape in conjunction with Trail Toes (Trail Toes on top of the tape and then foot into the sock).

http://www.trailtoes.com/

Overkill? Yes. But since we are on the topic of blisters, here are some great in-depth resources for foot taping techniques if you want to research/read further:

https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/th ... revention/

The Blister Prone Athlete’s Guide To Preventing Foot Blisters
https://www.amazon.com/Blister-Prone-At ... B016R6YAIS

Fixing your Feet has extensive discussion on foot taping (materials, brands, and techniques, adjunctive care, etc.)

Fixing Your Feet: Injury Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
https://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Feet ... 0899978304

http://fixingyourfeet.com/

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
Marcsoltan

no avatar
papienka

by papienka » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Good stuff, thanks! I wonder, powder or lube? Presumably not both? The answer is probably in the sources posted above... I'll dig in...

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:05 pm

I use Glide over the KT Tape and MicroPore to reduce friction between the tape and sock.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:54 am

Be aware that Nepals don't fit everyone well. If they are causing you significant discomfort out of the box you might be one of those people whom they don't fit. I really tried to make mine work on my feet (since my Trango S Evos fit great and I love the Nepal design) but after a number of Cascade climbs and water ice days and a lot of experimentation with laces and insoles, I finally sold them and bought a pair of the Scarpa equivalents (Mont Blancs). Now my feet are happy.

If you aren't sure whether they fit you can take them to the gym and hike on a treadmill at various inclinations. That way you can put some miles in them without scuffing them up or getting them dirty, which will increase the likelihood you can return them or sell them for a decent price.

Return to Gear