Warm jacket to fill gap between my FF R&I and Volant?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
G-F

Warm jacket to fill gap between my FF R&I and Volant?

by G-F » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:33 pm

I already have a Feathered friends Rock and Ice that I only use in the coldest conditions. But that's the problem it is so warm that I barely use it.

So I bought a Volant, but it is cut really short. I should have made my homework as it is said prettymuch everywhere that it is cut short. Anyhow I use it as an everyday jacket during winter time.

But now I'm looking for something that will fill the gap between the Volant and R&I. Something cut longer than the Volant, but wihtout crazy amount of down like the R&I. A 0f-15f jacket that would cover the butt.

I think the Peak XV from Eddie Bauer with 10oz of down would fit the gap very nicely. But while searching I found that the Rab Batura was maybe another good choice, though it may be on the too warm side for my needs. Maybe the Rab Positron would be best suited for the 0f-15f but the arms are titched through and I'm afraid of the cold spots around the elbows.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestion?

no avatar
Pearson10M

Re: Warm jacket to fill gap between my FF R&I and Volant?

by Pearson10M » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi,

I can't really help with a recommendation, but maybe a Marmot Mountain Down Jacket, which is a long 30" back.

I am seriously considering a FF Volant for myself and my wife. Your short comment is concerning. Can I ask what your size is (shirt sleeve length), your height and jacket size? As long as it comes a few inches below my belt buckle that is good. I don't need it to cover my butt.

Thanks in advance.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:46 am

The volant is quite short. I'm 5'10" 170lbs fit. I usually buy everything medium size (arcteryx, MH, TNF, Marmot), even my Rock and Ice is medium and is a perfect fit. But this one stops right at my belt. If I raise my arms I have my lower back exposed. This is not good for a winter jacket. Otherwise the fit of the shoulders and arms is just right. But if I were to buy again I'd get the large for sure.

My 5'7"/130lbs gf wore it and it was still short but better for her, it ends just over the top of her butt, but the sleeve are a bit long. For her medium would be the right choice.

I don't know if mine is a bit shorter than it should. But after some digging I found quite a few people complaining about the short lenght of the Volant. I'd say go one size larger.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:17 pm

What is your plan for this jacket? Standing around between burns at Smith Rock in winter? Wearing as a belay jacket while winter alpine climbing in Chamonix? It is hard to give a recommendation for clothing without knowing what your intended purpose for the garment is.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Jacket is mostly for winter activities in low intensity, belay, ice fishing or just walking the dog in 10f weather.

I tried to order the Peak XV today. But with the shipping/duties and exchange rate, it was 720$can while it costs 350U$!! That's insane. I'm now considering the Rab Positron as my best bet though I still worry about the stitched through arms.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Where do you live that you need a baffled down parka to walk the dog? Fairbanks?

I had an Outdoor Rearch Maestro that was baffled 850 fill, with NexTec W/B shell fabric. I think it will have the length you want while not being as warm as the Rock and Ice parka.

no avatar
GuyNC

by GuyNC » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:03 pm

I have the Positron and use it as an all-around winter coat when visiting family in Manitoba. In temps down to -5F with a stiff breeze I have never had an issue with cold arms with only a long sleeve T underneath. It is a very warm well-made jacket.

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:46 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Where do you live that you need a baffled down parka to walk the dog? Fairbanks?

I had an Outdoor Rearch Maestro that was baffled 850 fill, with NexTec W/B shell fabric. I think it will have the length you want while not being as warm as the Rock and Ice parka.

:lol: Not Fairbank cold, but I live in northern Quebec, winter lows are 0f to 9f according to Wiki while Fairbanks is -15f to -25f. Anything lower than 0f I just get the R&I for whatever low intensity activity I'm doing outside.

Thanks for the recomendation, I'll look into this. 8)

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:48 am

GuyNC wrote:I have the Positron and use it as an all-around winter coat when visiting family in Manitoba. In temps down to -5F with a stiff breeze I have never had an issue with cold arms with only a long sleeve T underneath. It is a very warm well-made jacket.

That's really useful. Thank you. 8)

Can you tell me your height/weight and jacket size?

no avatar
GuyNC

by GuyNC » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:26 pm

I am 5'7" 160 lb and the medium fits well with room for layers.

The following user would like to thank GuyNC for this post
G-F

no avatar
G-F

by G-F » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:41 am

Had a look at a Rab Positron. The sleeves are thin and the stitched through made it look like it wouldn't be very warm in low activity at ~0f.

So I decided to go with the Peak XV. For sure warm enough for 0f. With 360g of down (from Eddie Bauer rep) this jacket I think will fill the gap between my Rock & Ice (582g of 850+) and Volant (311g of 850+). I considered buying the FF Frontpoint, but it is 500$ vs EB at 349$. Pretty sure I made a sound choice.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Return to Gear