Total Eclipse 2017

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
JD

Re: Total Eclipse 2017

by JD » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:56 am

daw37 wrote:So I don't know about anyone else but my motivation is threefold:
- Being somewhere spectacular i.e. adding to the experience
- The view to be had of the shadows over all the peaks, which will be unlike what others may see from below
- I climb mountains for a hobby. Where else would I be? :)

I get the part about being in a cool location. That applies to any time of the year. And of course I could guess your hobby from the URL of this site. But are the "shadows over all the peaks" during a solar eclipse really going to be all that different or interesting?

I'm curious because I'm trying to decide where I want to be on 21 August 2017.

daw37

by daw37 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:50 am

If you are at a low level seeing the Eclipse its just darkness you see, but from a peak what you can see (so I'm told) is before the moment of the Eclipse an area of darkness on the ground in the distance. Lots of cool shadows that will make for great photos.

To be honest I don't know quite what will happen, but I consider it worth a try. I'll still get to see the Eclipse and whatever else happens, happens.

reboyles

by reboyles » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:40 pm

David,

I spoke too soon. I was going on what I heard and didn't actually check the lodge's schedule. What a score if you can get a room. You might want to park in the backpacker lot when you check out. The lodge parking is only good for guests while they are booked in a room. The Redfish drainage was the most glaciated part of the Sawtooth range and thus has some of the most spectacular scenery. You can catch a boat shuttle across the lake and save 5 miles of hiking to get into the wilderness area. The hike around the lake is scenic but you lose all of your elevation when you get to the inlet. The elevations range from about 7000-10,000+ feet which isn't bad compared to the higher mountains in the state. Thompson Peak (10751') is the highest in the range and it has a relatively easy 3rd class route (South Couloir) to the summit. The trail to Thompson starts from the Redfish area. Shoot me a message before you go and I might be able to meet you up there.

Bob

daw37

by daw37 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Fingers crossed I get a room the night I want, if not I've got contingency plans.

The lodge noted parking was a problem. Worst case I go the other way and park at Pettit Lake which should be less busy when I arrive.

Thomson would be tempting. Will keep you in mind assuming all goes to plan with my bookings. Next step is to book my flight to the US. I hate the current exchange rate!

siyeh

by siyeh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:29 pm

you guys do know a total eclipse brings all the crazies out of their mother's basement?
I would get as far in the backcountry as I could

The following user would like to thank siyeh for this post
lcarreau

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)