Hey guys , new guy question.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
bozemanmt

Re: Hey guys , new guy question.

by bozemanmt » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:36 pm

I think the San Juans in SW Colorado would be an awesome start. Great camping and so many easy to hard 14'ers to bag in a day or short backpack. Sneffels, Uncompahgre, RedCloud, Sunshine, Handies, etc. The views and wow factor down there is immense. The Sierra in Kings or Yosemite would also be great. More conducive to backpacking and peak bagging. Also no shortage of great stuff in Montana in the Gallatins, Glacier, Tetons, or Yellowstone.

no avatar
Nightstalker32

by Nightstalker32 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm gonna have to check all these out. Another question is, how do you go about one day saying " ok I'm doing k2.
, etc" how to you hook up with a group or team that is doing mount Denali? I'm throwing out random mountains. But my question pertains kinda to what I asked earlier.

The peaks you guys advised me of I'm assuming can be done solo or with a small group of friends.

But how do you take the steps to eventually climb something larger. When its just you and No one you know climbs etc

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Nightstalker32 wrote:Mt Rainer is a specific mountaineering type mountain right? Its not meant for ppl with little mountain skill etc ? There's no way I,could essentially hike/maneuver my way to the top ?

You need specific training and equipment to climb Rainier. There are many more high mountains in Colorado and California that you could do with nothing more than good hiking and outdoor skills. If you aspire to climb Mt. Rainier, here is an article to get you started: http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-t ... ier/507227

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Nightstalker32 wrote:I'm gonna have to check all these out. Another question is, how do you go about one day saying " ok I'm doing k2.
, etc" how to you hook up with a group or team that is doing mount Denali? I'm throwing out random mountains. But my question pertains kinda to what I asked earlier.

The peaks you guys advised me of I'm assuming can be done solo or with a small group of friends.

But how do you take the steps to eventually climb something larger. When its just you and No one you know climbs etc

Take courses, hire a guide. American Alpine Institute, as well as many other reputable guide outfits, offer comprehensive multi-week courses that will get you started. It only costs money and time. Unfortunately, a lot of both.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:22 am

Sometimes, it takes more time than money ... depending on how much you plan to invest in equipment and climbing gear.

What ever happened to the "REI discount" for new members joining Summitpost -- is that still applicable ???

And as you enjoy your time outdoors, hold close to this quote: "Life is hard. After all, it kills you." --Katharine Hepburn
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
Ellesmere

by Ellesmere » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Human has a brain, which enables him to make plans, acquire competencies and take out actions.

You are not going to set foot on peaks by asking questions of that quality.

I am sorry to hear that you mention the infamous Mt. Everest, K2 and Denali. I think these mountains ar at foremost magnets for retards, that humiliate themselves by pursuing these peaks and even by actually setting foot on them. (of course also actual mountaineers pursue these peaks sometimes, at least I assume that).

And if you start mountaineering with a group consisting also of:
my brother and 1 or 2 others.

to me sounds like a bunch of people, who know nothing about it, in a risky environment. In that case, I would keep my brother out, strictly. If it is simple trekking, there is still enough to plan and responsibility to share.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:24 am

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." -- Abraham Lincoln
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
Nightstalker32

by Nightstalker32 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:43 am

Ellesmere wrote:

Human has a brain, which enables him to make plans, acquire competencies and take out actions.

You are not going to set foot on peaks by asking questions of that quality.

I am sorry to hear that you mention the infamous Mt. Everest, K2 and Denali. I think these mountains ar at foremost magnets for retards, that humiliate themselves by pursuing these peaks and even by actually setting foot on them. (of course also actual mountaineers pursue these peaks sometimes, at least I assume that).

And if you start mountaineering with a group consisting also of:
my brother and 1 or 2 others.

to me sounds like a bunch of people, who know nothing about it, in a risky environment. In that case, I would keep my brother out, strictly. If it is simple trekking, there is still enough to plan and responsibility to share.

I think you misunderstand my questions. The point I'm making is not " uh how do you do stuff?" . instead its questions of " hey I'm forced to live in prob the worst place for outdoors and have little experience in the climbing side, with 0 friends or associates that climb . where do I start ?"

What I have learned through the replies is that besides the time and money its simple... Join groups , or take classes / climbing schools, start small with guides etc. And go from there money and time permitting.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:28 am

Chicago has a mountaineering club. It might be a good place to start.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Three of the best climbing partners I've had grew up in Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin. To of the guys started by taking a 21 day comprehensive day course through American Alpine Institute in the Washington Cascades. They guy from Illinois climbed locally at Starved Rock, Devil's Lake (Wi), made the drive to Colorado and the Tetons, before finally moving to Washington.

You really have a couple of choices; join a local/college outing club and go on their trips, or take a course (NOLS, Outward Bound, man of the AMGA certified guide outfits offer good ones).

Previous

Return to General